Can anyone tell me how impurity in superconductors changes the Tc?

In summary: In some materials electron and hole are "partners in crime" and their conductivities are balanced.In summary, amorphous transition metal alloys are harder to superconduct because of the competition between electron and hole conductivities.
mojo0529
I've search plenty of papers,but I still got no idea about this.Can anyone give me some clues?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Without being an expert in the field, superconductivity comes from the fact that electrons move more freely than in a conventional conductor. If you add some impurities in this material, you change the potential of electrons to move freely, by having variation in the lattice.

Like I said, this is really not my field. Cheers

Staying with conventional superconductors: non-magnetic impurities don't do much, and can in fact raise things like the critical field/current. Magnetic impurities tend to cause problems, and can destroy the superconductivity entirely.

For example: experiment for ordinary metals (1/2,... filled zone)

Superconductivity in amorphous and microcrystalline transition-metal alloys*
W. L. Johnson and S. J. Poon
In: Journal of Applied Physics. Vol. 46, No. 4. April 1975
W. M. Keck Laboratory of Engineering Materials. California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91109 (Received 2 October 1974)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
... It is found that the transition temperature of an amorphous phase obtained by liquid quenching is always less than that of one of the related crystalline phases...
Since 1930 years Kikoin-Kitaygorodski-Chapnick empirical rule is known:
Almost 90-95% superconductors are hole-like (Hall coefficient just above Tc is positive)
See diagram
tcvshall.gif

at http://physics.ucsd.edu/~jorge/bcs.html

See more about Kitaygorodski-Chapnick empirical rule at
"[URL theory of superconductivity: the world’s largest Madoff scheme?
J. E. Hirsch
Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0319[/URL]If impuruties make hole effective mass more in value (while Fermi momentum is constant), than Tc will be more in value (as a rule!).

But in ordinary metal impurities in some cases can change even the sign of effective mass! And in that case superconductivity may be destroyed completely.

Electron and hole conductivities compete in most metals, so it is hard to predict exactly Tc change.

In HTSC picture is more complex.

Attachments

• tcvshall.gif
    tcvshall.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 414
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can anyone tell me how impurity in superconductors changes the Tc?

1. How does impurity affect the superconducting transition temperature (Tc)?

Impurities can disrupt the regular lattice structure of a superconductor, hindering the flow of electrons and reducing the material's ability to conduct electricity without resistance. This leads to a decrease in Tc, as the superconductivity is more easily disrupted by thermal energy.

2. Can impurities increase Tc in superconductors?

In some cases, impurities can actually increase Tc in certain superconductors. This is because the impurities can interact with the electrons in the material, creating a new type of superconducting state with a higher Tc. However, this is not a universal effect and depends on the type of impurities and the specific material.

3. What types of impurities have the biggest impact on Tc in superconductors?

Generally, impurities with a larger atomic mass and a different electronic structure from the host material have a bigger impact on Tc. This is because these impurities can more significantly disrupt the electron flow and create more scattering sites, reducing Tc. Examples of such impurities include oxygen, carbon, and different types of metals.

4. How do impurities affect the critical current density (Jc) in superconductors?

Impurities can also decrease the critical current density in superconductors. This is because they create more defects and imperfections in the lattice structure, making it more difficult for the superconducting current to flow without resistance. In addition, impurities can also limit the coherence length, which affects the maximum current that can be carried by the material.

5. Can the amount of impurities in a superconductor be controlled to optimize Tc?

Yes, the amount of impurities in a superconductor can be controlled through various fabrication techniques, such as doping or annealing. This allows for the optimization of Tc in different materials, as well as the creation of new types of superconductors with unique properties. However, it is a delicate balance, as too many impurities can significantly decrease Tc, while too few may not have a noticeable effect.