Can anyone solve this mathematical induction problem?

In summary: Huh?If k is odd and (n+1) is even, k(n+1) is even!Odd x even = even always!In summary, the problem is to prove that for all n>1, the statement P(n) : 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n = k/m is true, where k is an odd number and m is an even number. The solution involves using induction to show that the statement holds for all values of n, and dividing the problem into two cases: when n+1 is odd and when n+1 is even. In the second case, it is necessary to prove that k(n+1) + m
ctothe

Homework Statement

Prove that for all n>1,
P(n) :[itex]1 + 1/2 + 1/3 +...+1/n = k/m [/itex]

where k is an odd number an m is an even number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)Base Case n =2
P(2) = k/m
[itex] 3/2 = k/m [/itex] which is true.

2) Inductive Step
Assume P(n) is true for some arbitrary n.

3) Prove P(n+1)
[itex] P(n+1) = k/m [/itex]
[itex]P(n) +1/(n+1) = k/m [/itex]
We know/assume that P(n) has an odd numerator and an even denominator. So,
[itex] k/m + 1/(n+1) = k/m [/itex]
[itex] (k(n+1) +m)/ (m+mn) [/itex]

So i divided the problem into two cases:

Case 1: n+1 is odd
if n+1 is odd then k(n+1) + m is odd and m +mn is even which is true.

Case 2: n+1 is even
here's where the problem is

Physics news on Phys.org
ctothe said:
1. Case 2: n+1 is even

Let me rewrite your denominator mn + m = m(n+1).

Multiply m(n+1) by 2p.

Show that there exists a positive integer value for p such that the numerator must wind up odd whereas the denominator will always be even.

ctothe said:

Homework Statement

Prove that for all n>1,
P(n) :[itex]1 + 1/2 + 1/3 +...+1/n = k/m [/itex]

where k is an odd number an m is an even number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)Base Case n =2
P(2) = k/m
[itex] 3/2 = k/m [/itex] which is true.

2) Inductive Step
Assume P(n) is true for some arbitrary n.

3) Prove P(n+1)
[itex] P(n+1) = k/m [/itex]
[itex]P(n) +1/(n+1) = k/m [/itex]
We know/assume that P(n) has an odd numerator and an even denominator. So,
[itex] k/m + 1/(n+1) = k/m [/itex]
[itex] (k(n+1) +m)/ (m+mn) [/itex]

So i divided the problem into two cases:

Case 1: n+1 is odd
if n+1 is odd then k(n+1) + m is odd and m +mn is even which is true.

Case 2: n+1 is even

k is odd. So, k(n+1) is odd, no matter if (n+1) is odd or even. Since m is even, k(n+1) + m is odd.

CEL said:
k is odd. So, k(n+1) is odd, no matter if (n+1) is odd or even. Since m is even, k(n+1) + m is odd.

Huh?

If k is odd and (n+1) is even, k(n+1) is even!

Odd x even = even always!

. i couldn't figure out how to prove that this case is also true.I would first commend the person for attempting to solve the problem using mathematical induction. It shows a good understanding of the concept and a willingness to think critically and logically.

I would then offer some suggestions for their attempted solution. In the inductive step, instead of assuming that P(n) is true, I would suggest using the inductive hypothesis, which states that P(n) is true for some arbitrary n. This allows for a stronger and more general proof.

For the second case, where n+1 is even, I would suggest breaking it down further into two subcases: n is even and n is odd. This is because when n is even, n+1 is odd and when n is odd, n+1 is even. This will help in showing that the numerator and denominator in the expression (k(n+1) + m)/(m+mn) are both odd and even, respectively, regardless of whether n+1 is even or odd.

I would also suggest considering the fact that the sum of two odd numbers is even, and the sum of an even number and an odd number is odd. This can help in simplifying the expression and showing that the numerator and denominator are both odd and even, respectively.

Overall, I would encourage the person to keep exploring and trying to solve the problem. Mathematical induction can be tricky, but with practice and perseverance, they will be able to master it.

Related to Can anyone solve this mathematical induction problem?

1. Can you explain the concept of mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number (usually 1), and then showing that if the statement is true for any given natural number, it is also true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

2. How do you know when to use mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is typically used to prove statements that involve natural numbers or sequences. If the statement can be broken down into smaller cases, and it is shown to be true for the smallest case and for any given case implies the next case, then mathematical induction is likely the appropriate proof technique to use.

3. What are the common mistakes made when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes when using mathematical induction include assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without properly proving each step, failing to include the base case, and incorrectly applying the inductive hypothesis.

4. Are there any tips for solving mathematical induction problems?

Some tips for solving mathematical induction problems include clearly stating and understanding the statement to be proved, identifying the base case and inductive hypothesis, and carefully following the steps of the proof. It can also be helpful to try simpler examples or cases to gain a better understanding of the problem.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that involve natural numbers or sequences. It cannot be used for statements that involve real numbers or continuous variables.