Can anyone explain this term is antisymmetric in SU(3)

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of higher-dimensional representations in SU(N) by taking Kronecker products. The first term in the product is shown to be invariant and traceless, and can be decomposed into a singlet and octet. The process of making a tensor completely traceless is also demonstrated, and it is shown that traceless tensors form their own invariant subspaces. The dimensions of the resulting tensor are determined by counting the components, and the process for decomposing the tensor into symmetric and anti-symmetric parts is explained.
LAHLH
Hi,

I'm reading the SU(N) chapter in Jones' Group theory book. In SU(3) we have these 3 component spinors which transform as [tex] \psi^{'}_{a}=U_{a}^{..b}\psi_{b} [/tex] and we have upper spinors defined by [tex]\psi^{a}=\epsilon^{abc}\phi_{[bc]}[/tex]

Now if consider building up higher-dimensional reps, by taking Kronecker products. Starting with [tex] 3 \otimes \bar{3} [/tex]:

[tex]\psi_{a}\bar{\psi}^{b}=\left( \psi_{a}\bar{\psi}^{b}-\tfrac{1}{3}\delta^{b}_{a}\psi_{c}\bar{\psi}}^{c}\right)+\tfrac{1}{3}\delta^{b}_{a}\psi_{c}\bar{\psi}^{c} [/tex]

Now I understand that the last term is invariant, which already suggests to me it's a singlet, but I can't see how this term is a completely antisymmetric combo of all three indices. Could anyone show me explicitley why this is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]\bar{\psi}^{c} =\epsilon^{cde}\phi_{[de]} [/tex]

Then [tex]\psi_{c}\bar{\psi}^{c} =\epsilon^{cde}\psi_{c}\phi_{[de]} [/tex]

So there are three indices which are completely antisymmetric due to the contraction with the epsilon symbol.

Thanks alot, I had convinced myself of it in a much more cumbersome way in the end.

Would you happen to know also why the first term [tex]\left( \psi_{a}\bar{\psi}^{b}-\tfrac{1}{3}\delta^{b}_{a}\psi_{c}\bar{\psi}}^{c} \right)[/tex] is constructed to be traceless. I understand why it is traceless, just not really why he emphasizes that we want it to be traceless. Do traceless tensors form their own invariant subspace too? just like antisymmetric/symmetric tensors? Since this first term is an object of mixed symmetry so on the basis of just antisymmetric/symmetric tensors forming invariant subspaces you wouldn't necessarily think this tensor would be an invariant subspace. Unless it's something to do with the tracelessness?

Finally is there anyway to see that this first term is of dimension 8? (other than just following the rules for Young Tableux quotient)

Thanks again.

Do traceless tensors form their own invariant subspace too? just like antisymmetric/symmetric tensors?

Yes. The prossess becomes more complicated when you deal with tensors that have both lower and upper indices like the mixed tensor (2,2).

Write

[tex]
\phi_{a}\psi^{b} \equiv T_{a}{}^{b} = \left(T_{a}{}^{b} - \frac{1}{n}\delta_{a}^{b}T_{c}{}^{c} \right) + \frac{1}{n}\delta_{a}{}^{b}T_{c}{}^{c}
[/tex]

This separation ( traceless + scalar) is invariant under the action of the group SU(N). We simply divided the original [itex]N^{2}[/itex]-dimensional representation space into two invariant subspaces of dimension [itex]N^{2}-1[/itex] and [itex]1[/itex], respectively.

Finally is there anyway to see that this first term is of dimension 8? (other than just following the rules for Young Tableux quotient)

Just count the number of components of each object. The prossess is as simple as writing,
9 = 8 + 1. For tensors of type (0,2) or (2,0) the divission is 9 = 6 + 3, the 6 represents the symmetric part and the 3 corresponds to the antisymmetric part;

[tex]T_{ab} = T_{(ab)} + T_{[ab]}[/tex]

regards

sam

Last edited:
Thanks for the help samalkhaiat.

On a related note I'm trying to do q8.3 in Jones, not sure if you have the book, but basically it's looking at [tex] 8 \otimes 8[/tex]. So I know that the irrep of dimension 8 is carried by tensors of the form [tex] \hat{\phi}^{a}_{b}=\left( \psi_{a}\bar{\psi}^{b}-\tfrac{1}{3}\delta^{b}_{a}\psi_{c}\bar{\psi}}^{c} \right) [/tex] (where the hat means traceless, i.e. it is of the canonical form in the sense of syndey coleman). So from this I can deduce that [tex] 8 \otimes 8 [/tex] must be carried by tensors of the form [tex] \hat{\phi}^{i}_{j} \otimes \hat{\phi}^{k}_{l} [/tex] or in other words, [tex] \phi^{ik}_{jl} [/tex] (this time there is no hat because it is only traceless on ij or kl, not for e.g. il).

So first thing I need to do to get this into canonical form is make it completley traceless, but I don't quite know how. Judging from the answer in the back of the book Jones forms the completely traceless tensor as [tex] \hat{\phi}^{ik}_{jl}\rightarrow \phi^{ik}_{jl}-\delta^{i}_{l}\hat{\phi}^{k}_{j}-\delta^{k}_{j}\hat{\phi}^{i}_{l}-\delta^{k}_{j}\delta^{i}_{l}\phi [/tex] (where second and third terms are octets and last is singlet).

I can't see how such an object would now be traceless on all indices as it it supposed to be. e.g. tracing on il:
[tex] \hat{\phi}^{ik}_{ji}\rightarrow 0-3\hat{\phi}^{k}_{j}-\delta^{k}_{j}\hat{\phi}^{i}_{i}-3\delta^{k}_{j}\phi [/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, so you want to decompose the tensor product [itex][8]\otimes [8][/itex]. Let us consider an arbitrary SU(3) tensor of type (2,2). Let us call it [itex]X^{ab}_{cd}[/itex]. Clearly, it has [81] components. Now we remove from it two octets and one singlet. This leads to a [64] components object ( = 81 – 8 – 8 – 1 ). If we can make it traceless in (ac) and (bd), then we can make the identification

[tex][64]^{ab}_{cd} = ([8] \otimes [8])^{ab}_{cd}[/tex]

The process is based on the simple identity

[tex]X = ( X - S ) + S[/tex]

If we take S to be

[tex]S = [8] + [8] + [1],[/tex]

[tex]X = [81][/itex]

then we can show that [itex]T \equiv (X - S )[/itex] is traceless in the pairs [itex](ac)[/itex] and [itex](bd)[/itex] and, therefore can be identified with [itex]([8]\otimes [8])[/itex]. Indeed, it is easy to see that the following expression for S does the job we need;

[tex]
S^{ab}_{cd} = (1/3) \delta^{a}_{c} X^{kb}_{kd} + (1/3) \delta^{b}_{d} X^{ak}_{ck} - (1/9) \delta^{a}_{c}\delta^{b}_{d}X^{ke}_{ke} \ \ (1)
[/tex]

To write this in terms of the octets [itex][8]^{b}_{d}[/itex] and [itex][8]^{a}_{c}[/itex], we only need to change the sign of the last term. Thus, starting from the arbitrary tensor [itex]X^{ab}_{cd}[/itex] we now have the following expression for the tensor [itex]([8]\otimes [8])^{ab}_{cd}[/itex];

[tex]
T^{ab}_{cd} \equiv ([8]\otimes [8])^{ab}_{cd} = X^{ab}_{cd} - (1/3)\delta^{a}_{c}X^{kb}_{kd} - (1/3)\delta^{b}_{d}X^{ak}_{ck} + (1/9)\delta^{a}_{c}\delta^{b}_{d}X^{kj}_{kj} \ \ (2)
[/tex]

That is

[tex]
([8]\otimes [8])^{ab}_{cd} = [81]^{ab}_{cd} - (1/3) \delta^{a}_{c}[8]^{b}_{d} - (1/3)\delta^{b}_{d}[8]^{a}_{c} - (1/9)\delta^{a}_{c}\delta^{b}_{d}[1]
[/tex]

Now you can repeat the process of subtracting two [8]’s and a [1], this time on the tensor [itex]T^{ab}_{cd} \equiv ([8]\otimes [8])^{ab}_{cd}[/itex] with respect to the cross indices (ad) and (bc). You will end up with a totally traceless, [47](= 64 – 8 – 8 – 1) components tensor. Again; by writing [itex]T = (T - P) + P[/itex], you find

[tex](T - P )^{ab}_{cd} \equiv [47]^{ab}_{cd} = T^{ab}_{cd} - (1/3)\delta^{a}_{d}T^{kb}_{ck} - (1/3)\delta^{b}_{c}T^{ak}_{kd} + (1/9)\delta^{a}_{d}\delta^{b}_{c}T^{kj}_{jk}[/tex]

Again in terms of the [8]’s and the [1], we have

[tex]
[47]^{ab}_{cd} = ([8]\otimes [8])^{ab}_{cd} - (1/3)\delta^{a}_{d}[8]^{b}_{c} - (1/3)\delta^{b}_{c}[8]^{a}_{d} - (1/9)\delta^{a}_{d}\delta^{b}_{c}[1]
[/tex]

Next, divide [itex][47] \equiv \hat{G}[/itex] into symmetric and anti-symmetric parts

[tex]\hat{G}^{ab}_{cd} = \hat{G}^{(ac)}_{bd} + \hat{G}^{[ac]}_{bd}[/tex]

The second term can be written as [itex]\epsilon^{ace}B_{(bde)}[/itex] which is nothing but the totally symmetric decouplet [10] (try to prove it).

[tex][47]^{ac}_{bd} = [37]^{(ac)}_{bd} + \epsilon^{ace}[10]_{(bde)}[/tex]

Similar separation can be done on the lower indices resulting in

[tex][37]^{(ac)}_{bd} = [27]^{(ac)}_{(bd)} + \epsilon_{bde}[\bar{10}]^{(ace)}[/tex]

Finally, One might say; “give us a break! For god sake its only 1+8+8+10+10+27 = 8 x 8”.

regards

sam

Last edited:

Related to Can anyone explain this term is antisymmetric in SU(3)

1. What is the meaning of "antisymmetric" in SU(3)?

"Antisymmetric" in SU(3) refers to a mathematical property of the SU(3) group, which is a type of Lie group. In this context, "antisymmetric" means that the group elements can be represented by matrices that are skew-symmetric, meaning that they satisfy the equation A^T = -A.

2. How does antisymmetry manifest in the SU(3) group?

The antisymmetric property in SU(3) manifests in the group's representation matrices, which are used to describe the group's transformations. These matrices are always skew-symmetric, which means that they have a mirror symmetry across the main diagonal. This property is important in understanding the behavior of the SU(3) group and its applications in physics and other fields.

3. What is the significance of antisymmetry in SU(3)?

The antisymmetric property in SU(3) is significant because it is related to the group's fundamental representation, which is used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. This representation is crucial in understanding the symmetries and patterns observed in the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. How does antisymmetry relate to other properties of the SU(3) group?

In the SU(3) group, antisymmetry is closely related to the properties of orthogonality and unitarity. These properties, along with antisymmetry, make up the defining characteristics of the SU(3) group and are essential in understanding its behavior and applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of antisymmetry in SU(3)?

The concept of antisymmetry in SU(3) has various applications in physics, particularly in the field of particle physics. It is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions, which are essential in understanding the structure of matter and the laws of the universe. It also has applications in fields such as chemistry, where it is used to explain the symmetry and stability of molecules.