Can anyone confirm the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen?

In summary, the ground state radius of a muonic hydrogen atom is given by the Bohr radius, which is calculated using the fine-structure constant and the reduced mass of the muon. One must use the reduced mass because the muon is more massive in relation to the proton, and the ratio of the Bohr radius for a muonic hydrogen atom to that for a regular hydrogen atom can be found using the ratio of the reduced masses.
seattle.truth
Thanks in advance for anybody who is kind enough to help me. No this isn't for my homework. I am not even enrolled in school. I am doing some calculations for personal research.

But I need to know the ground state radius of a muonic hydrogen atom to help prove my theory.

I already know the equation \frac{\hbar^{2}}{m_{m}e^{4}} .

I don't need help with finding the equation. I just need somebody to confirm the number so I know I didn't mess up (possibly from an outside source if you know where to find it). So please just post the length of the radius, I just need the number.

Maybe I am a dumbass. I searched all over the internet and could not find a clear answer.

Sorry if that's the case, but I really appreciate anyone who can take a minute to help me out.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
seattle.truth said:
Thanks in advance for anybody who is kind enough to help me. No this isn't for my homework. I am not even enrolled in school. I am doing some calculations for personal research.

But I need to know the ground state radius of a muonic hydrogen atom to help prove my theory.

I already know the equation \frac{\hbar^{2}}{m_{m}e^{4}} .

I don't need help with finding the equation. I just need somebody to confirm the number so I know I didn't mess up (possibly from an outside source if you know where to find it). So please just post the length of the radius, I just need the number.

Maybe I am a dumbass. I searched all over the internet and could not find a clear answer.

Sorry if that's the case, but I really appreciate anyone who can take a minute to help me out.

Thanks

The Bohr radius is given by

[tex] a_0 = \frac{ 4\pi \epsilon_0\hbar^2 }{\bar{m}_e e^2} = \frac{ \hbar } {\bar{m}_e c \alpha},[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the fine-structure constant and [tex]\bar{m}_e[/tex] is the reduced mass of the electron:

[tex] \bar{m}_e = \frac{ m_e m_p}{m_e+m_p}.[/tex]

Typically we replace [tex]\bar{m}_e[/tex] with [tex]m_e[/tex] because the error in doing so is very small (0.2% or so), but the muon is quite a bit more massive in relation to the proton, so we must use the reduced mass. For a muon

[tex] a_\mu = \frac{ \hbar } {\bar{m}_\mu c \alpha},[/tex]

or we can write

[tex] \frac{a_\mu}{a_0} = \frac{\bar{m}_e}{\bar{m}_\mu} = \frac{m_e}{m_\mu} \frac{m_\mu + m_p}{m_e+m_p} .[/tex]

Related to Can anyone confirm the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen?

1. What is the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen?

The ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen is approximately 0.11 nanometers (nm).

2. How is the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen calculated?

The ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen is calculated using the Rydberg constant, the mass of the muon (the particle that replaces the electron in muonic hydrogen), and the reduced mass of the muon and proton system.

3. Has the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen been experimentally confirmed?

Yes, the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen has been experimentally confirmed through spectroscopic measurements.

4. How does the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen compare to the ground state Bohr radius for regular hydrogen?

The ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen is approximately 200 times smaller than the ground state Bohr radius for regular hydrogen.

5. Is the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen a constant value?

Yes, the ground state Bohr radius for muonic hydrogen is a constant value and is not affected by changes in temperature or pressure.