Can Any Point Along the Force's Line of Action Be Used to Calculate Moment?

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, in order to find the moment, you need to find a point on the line of action of the force and subtract the point of rotation from it. This point can be any point along the line of action, not necessarily the beginning point of the force. However, calculating the moment using the perpendicular distance from the line of action to the point of rotation can often be easier.
pyroknife
moment=rXF. I was wondering, in order to find r, you have to find a point on where the force is being applied right and subtract whatever you're revolving around from that point. My question is, can that point be any point only the direction of the force? Someone told me it has to be the beginning point of where the force is first applied, but if that's the case, what if the profile doesn't specifythat "beginning point?"

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
moment=rXF. I was wondering, in order to find r, you have to find a point on where the force is being applied right and subtract whatever you're revolving around from that point. My question is, can that point be any point only the direction of the force? Someone told me it has to be the beginning point of where the force is first applied, but if that's the case, what if the profile doesn't specifythat "beginning point?"

The position vector r is from the point about which you are taking the moments to the point of application of the force. But if you don't know that point of application, you can choose any point along the line of action of the force, and choose that as your point of application.. That changes the vector r and the angle between the position and force vectors, but not the calculated moment. A sometimes and often easier way is to calculate the moment as force times perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the point about which you are summing moments. Watch plus/minus signs, and basic geometry/trig.

Related to Can Any Point Along the Force's Line of Action Be Used to Calculate Moment?

1. What is a moment in science?

A moment in science refers to the turning effect produced by a force around an axis or pivot. It is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis.

2. How do moments affect objects?

Moments can cause objects to rotate or change their rotational motion. They can also cause objects to remain in a state of equilibrium or balance.

3. What is the difference between a moment and torque?

Moments and torque are often used interchangeably, but torque refers specifically to the turning effect produced by a force around an axis. Moments can also refer to the turning effect of a couple, which involves two equal and opposite forces acting on an object.

4. What is the formula for calculating moments?

The formula for calculating moments is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the axis.

5. How can moments be applied in real-life situations?

Moments are used in various real-life situations, such as in construction to determine the stability of structures, in engineering to design machines and mechanisms, and in sports to improve performance and prevent injuries.