Can any one explain me about the bigbang singularity

In summary: Some theories suggest it is a point where all of space and time comes together, while others suggest that it's just a very large explosion. It's still an open question as to what exactly happened at the moment of the big bang.
satyaraj
can anyone explain me about the bigbang singularity

Physics news on Phys.org

All matter was concentrated in a point and then time began?

It's one concept about how our universe started.

Try reading Wikipedia under "BIG BANG"...

You can check also for things like bubble universes, parallel universes, big bounce, and quantum fluctuations for other possible perspectives on how our universe might have originated. Also check the references at the bottom of each Wikipedia article for other ideas...

Crazy Tosser said:
All matter was concentrated in a point and then time began?

If we define time as change, then requiring the universe to change from a state of having no time to a state of having time, requires having time in the first place for the change to happen. If I say something like there was no time before the big bang, it is self contradictory because the word 'before' is a temporal word and requires a concept of time to have any meaning. The same is true for words like ''was', 'then' and 'began'.

kev said:
If we define time as change, then requiring the universe to change from a state of having no time to a state of having time, requires having time in the first place for the change to happen. If I say something like there was no time before the big bang, it is self contradictory because the word 'before' is a temporal word and requires a concept of time to have any meaning. The same is true for words like ''was', 'then' and 'began'.

Yes, but Big Bang was the very first change of state. Even though I see your point, that nothing can "begin" if there is no time, but I think it wouldn't be wrong to say that the first process that occurred in the universe - BB - was the beginning of time, because it cannot possibly be proved that time existed before it.

The relevant solutions of Einstein's equation only defines times t>0. The "big bang" is the limit t→0, so every event in spacetime is after the big bang. The big bang described by general relativity is a mathematical limit, not a "process" or a "change".

To comment on all those "beginning of time" thoughts, GR neither implies or refutes the idea that there is nothing on the other side of the big bang singularity.

Crazy Tosser said:
Yes, but Big Bang was the very first change of state. Even though I see your point, that nothing can "begin" if there is no time, but I think it wouldn't be wrong to say that the first process that occurred in the universe - BB - was the beginning of time, because it cannot possibly be proved that time existed before it.

An alternative point of view that is expounded by some quantum gravity ideas is that the universe collapsed towards a point (not quite reaching it) and then rebounded to what we see today. In those theories, if we consider the time when the rebound occurred to be the big bang, then there is a concept of time before the big bang from that point of view. However, I should point out that there is not yet a generally accepted quantum theory of gravity. I think it might also be fair to say that there is no universally accepted description of what happened exactly at the time of the big bang or just before it, although there seems to be an accepted view of what happened some billionths of a second after the big bang.

then requiring the universe to change from a state of having no time to a state of having time, requires having time in the first place for the change to happen.

While that IS "logical" it is unproven...Photons have no "time" for example...they don't age..

No one knows among time,energy,mass,space if one is fundamental and the other emergent...We do not know quite what the big bang is...Neither relativity nor quantum theory works at a big bang singularity...as MeJennifer posted, neither says anything directly about it...on the other hand, some theory suggests inside a black hole, space is replaced by time so the black hole singularity is located in time not space!...equally crazy, but possible, I guess...

MeJennifer said:
To comment on all those "beginning of time" thoughts, GR neither implies or refutes the idea that there is nothing on the other side of the big bang singularity.
That comment is a bit strange. No theory can imply or refute an idea. What you said is true, but it's true in exactly the same way that it's true that Newton's theory of gravity doesn't imply or refute the idea that stuff will be falling away from massive objects tomorrow.

Naty1 said:
... on the other hand, some theory suggests inside a black hole, space is replaced by time so the black hole singularity is located in time not space!...equally crazy, but possible, I guess...

That is the Kruskal-Szekeres description of time and space within a black hole. There is an alternative description that is slightly less crazy, yet still in agreement with General Relativity.

Ahem..cough..cough.. :shy:

Related to Can any one explain me about the bigbang singularity

1. What is the Big Bang Singularity?

The Big Bang Singularity is a theoretical point in time, approximately 13.8 billion years ago, when all matter and energy in the universe was compressed into a single, infinitely dense and hot point.

2. How did the Big Bang Singularity lead to the creation of the universe?

The Big Bang Singularity is believed to have triggered the expansion of the universe, leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. As the singularity expanded, it cooled down and matter began to clump together, eventually forming the structures we see in the universe today.

3. What evidence supports the existence of the Big Bang Singularity?

One of the strongest pieces of evidence for the Big Bang Singularity is the cosmic microwave background radiation, a faint glow that permeates the entire universe. This radiation is a remnant of the intense heat of the singularity, and its uniformity supports the idea of a single, explosive event.

4. Can the Big Bang Singularity be observed or recreated?

The Big Bang Singularity cannot be directly observed or recreated, as it is thought to have occurred in a time and space beyond our current understanding. However, scientists can study its effects and make predictions about its properties through observations and experiments.

5. Is the Big Bang Singularity the only theory for the beginning of the universe?

The Big Bang Singularity is currently the most widely accepted theory for the beginning of the universe, based on a large body of evidence. However, there are other theories, such as the steady-state theory and the cyclic model, that offer alternative explanations and continue to be studied by scientists.