Can ANSYS Analyze the Difference in Gap Values for Contact Surfaces?

In summary, the conversation is about an intern working on an analytic project in a company. The project involves determining the gap between two contact surfaces, specifically two O-rings. The intern has obtained some results using "node to node" contact and probe "gap" commands, but there is a difference in the results. The supervisor wants the intern to investigate the reason for this difference. The intern asks if anyone knows the calculations and analysis behind Ansys, and if it is possible to determine the gap by looking at the deformations of the O-rings. The O-rings are frictionless and under pressure, and the end goal is to determine the leakage through them and find the better analysis.
WIN
I'm an intern currently and doing some analytic project in a company. So i am required to determine the gap between 2 contact surface (2 O-rings). I've obtain some result by using "node to node" contact with some commands and also probe "gap". There's some difference between the results and the supervisor want me to find out why is there difference between the gap value. Is there anyway i can find it out? Anyone here know the reason behind the calculations/analysis behind ansys. And is it possible to determine the gap by the deformations of the 2 O-rings. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the configuration of the O rings and other components ?

the O rings were frictionless to each other and there are pressure acting on them so that both O-rings will press against each other... the end effect is to determine that the leakage through them with Gap and find out which is the better analysis

it look this way...

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 535

Related to Can ANSYS Analyze the Difference in Gap Values for Contact Surfaces?

What is ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap?

ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap is a type of simulation tool used in engineering and scientific fields to study the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is also known as a gap element or contact element.

What is the purpose of using ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap?

The main purpose of using ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap is to accurately model and analyze the behavior of contact between two or more objects. This can help in predicting the performance of products and structures under different contact conditions.

How does ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap work?

ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap works by creating a mathematical model of the contact interface between two objects. It takes into account factors such as surface roughness, material properties, and contact pressure to accurately simulate the behavior of the contact.

What types of problems can ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap solve?

ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap can solve a wide range of problems related to contact between objects, including static and dynamic contact, friction, wear, and impact. It is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

What are the advantages of using ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap?

Some of the major advantages of using ANSYS Contact Problem - Gap include its ability to accurately simulate complex contact conditions, its user-friendly interface, and its compatibility with other ANSYS tools for a comprehensive analysis. It also helps in reducing the need for physical testing, saving time and resources.