Can Alternative Liquids Improve Solar Powered Steam Engines?

In summary: This azeotrope can be used to power a steam engine without the need for a pump. However, I have real concerns about pressurizing and heating ethanol, propane, butane, and a vast list of others. The danger in my opinion, is off the chart.
mickeyt500
Hey all...So i have this project, to use any other liquid apart from water in a solar powered steam engine.
At the moment i am still in research phase, and have been reading on quite a few liquids although i have been concentrating on ethanol, as it is readily available and has a BP of 78 degrees. So here is an idea that i thought of, rather than using a rankine cycle to use an absorption cycle or a vapour power cycle, where the need for a pump is eliminated. Ethanol when mixed with water at a ratio of 89 % to 11% forms an azeotrope, meaning the molecular ratios are unaffected by evaporation. So in the boiler (powered by the solar panel) the ethanol from the azeotrope mixture evaporates (at 78 degrees while the water is still in liquid form) and the pressurised vapour exorts energy to the turbine. The resulting low pressurised vapour passes to the condenser where it mixes with water at room temperature.

Now that is just an idea, and i need all u brainy people to help me out...
When water mixes with ethanol its an exothermic reaction and 777J/mol of energy is released, so can this energy released in the condeser be helpul to us? can it cause the ethanol to revapourise? Any improvements or suggestions to the design will also be appreciated, and thought on alternatives to ethanol :)

Btw i have viewed the previous thread on this as well :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the purpose of this project? Is it a personal project, a school project, a government contract to build a prototype? This is potentially a huge undertaking that doesn't have any easy answers.

Well its a university project, its related to one of my modules.. so I am trying to fetch ideas and professional opinions from every side :)

I have to weigh in about all the heated combustable gas engines. I have real concerns pressurizing and heating ethanol, propane, butane, and a vast list of others. The danger in my opinion, is off the chart. in theory, if the thing is perfectly sealed the risk is decreased, but even a minor leak can cause a disaster that can kill people. And as murphy always dictates, the experimenter will survive, so he can be sued relentlessly.

for gods sake, be careful, and remember no "energy solution engine" is useful if the above average moron can cause a disaster.

dr

Related to Can Alternative Liquids Improve Solar Powered Steam Engines?

1. How does a solar powered steam engine work?

A solar powered steam engine works by using the power of the sun to heat water and produce steam. The steam is then used to power a engine, which can be used for various purposes such as generating electricity or pumping water.

2. What are the benefits of using a solar powered steam engine?

The main benefits of using a solar powered steam engine are that it is a renewable source of energy, does not produce any emissions or pollution, and can be used in remote areas without access to electricity.

3. Can a solar powered steam engine be used for large-scale applications?

Yes, a solar powered steam engine can be used for large-scale applications. In fact, some power plants use solar powered steam engines to generate electricity on a large scale.

4. How efficient is a solar powered steam engine compared to other types of engines?

A solar powered steam engine can be very efficient, with some models having an efficiency of over 30%. However, this efficiency can vary depending on factors such as the design of the engine and the amount of sunlight available.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a solar powered steam engine?

One limitation of using a solar powered steam engine is that it relies on the availability of sunlight, so it may not be suitable for use in areas with low sunlight. Additionally, the initial cost of setting up a solar powered steam engine can be high, but it can save money in the long run due to its renewable nature.