Can all dot product computations be computed?

In summary, it seems that the only options that can be computed are 2 and 3, as they involve performing the dot product between two vectors or adding and then performing the dot product. The others do not make sense in terms of vector operations.
camino

Homework Statement

Which of the following can be computed?

1. A dot B dot C
2. A dot ( B dot C )
3. A dot ( B + C )
4. 3 dot A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that 2 and 3 are the only two that can be computed. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that? What makes them different from the others?

I personally disagree with your answer

Well I think 4 can't be computed because 3 is not a vector.

But perhaps 1 can be?

I'm almost certain 2 and 3 can be.

camino said:
Well I think 4 can't be computed because 3 is not a vector.

But perhaps 1 can be?

I'm almost certain 2 and 3 can be.

The 3 isn't that much of a problem. 3 times something is ok for a lot of objects. But how do you compute dot(A)?? Imagine A, B and C are real vectors and try to figure out how you would compute any of these. Only one makes sense.

I think the dot product is defined as being a scalar product between two vectors. For this reason I don't think any of the products except number 3 is acceptable:

A.B.C isn't compatible
A.(B.C) is A.(Scalar)
A.(B+C) = A.B + A.C both of which make perfect sense
3.A is not OK whilst 3A is.

Thank you Gregg! Your explanation makes perfect sense to me and is exactly the help I was looking for!

Related to Can all dot product computations be computed?

What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a single scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and summing the results.

How is the dot product computed?

The dot product is computed by multiplying the x-components of the two vectors, then adding the products of the y-components and z-components, if applicable. The resulting value is a single number that represents the magnitude of the projection of one vector onto the other.

What is the purpose of computing the dot product?

The dot product is used to determine the angle between two vectors, the magnitude of one vector in the direction of another, and to project one vector onto another. It is also used in various applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What are the properties of the dot product?

The dot product has several properties, including commutativity, distributivity, and associativity. It also follows the Law of Cosines, which states that the dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them.

How is the dot product used in real-world applications?

The dot product has many real-world applications, such as calculating work and energy in physics, finding the angle between two planes in aviation, and determining the similarity between two documents in natural language processing. It is also used in computer graphics to calculate lighting and shading effects.