Can a vector space also be a set?

In summary, a vector space is a collection of objects called vectors that can be combined and scaled by numbers, called scalars. A vector space is a set with an algebraic structure, different from just a set. It has specific properties that a mere set does not have. Other mathematical structures, such as a group, monoid, module, ring, or field, are different from vector spaces. A set of vectors can only be called vectors if they live in a vector space.
ognik
Wiki says "A vector space is a collection of objects called vectors, which may be added together and multiplied ("scaled") by numbers, called scalars in this context." To me the term (linear) Vector Space has always seemed a little mysterious ... how far wrong would I be in thinking of a vector space as a set? For example if it was the vector space of polynomials of degree 2, could I also say the set of polynomials of degree 2 (or lower of course)?

If not, what is superior about a Vector Space as opposed to a set?

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector space is a set, combined with an algebraic structure. A mere set does not satisfy a vector space properties. Whenever a set has certain operations defined on it and behave in a certain way, it is called a vector space. :)

Thanks Fantini. So if I have a set of vectors and I say they can be linearly combined, then I have a linear vector space?

I suppose there are mathematical spaces that have other than vectors? And other than linear algebra associated?

ognik said:
Thanks Fantini. So if I have a set of vectors and I say they can be linearly combined, then I have a linear vector space?

I suppose there are mathematical spaces that have other than vectors? And other than linear algebra associated?
If you have a set and they can be linearly combined, then they are vectors because they live in a set that is a linear vector space. :) You can only call them vectors if you have a vector space.

There are other mathematical structures different from vector space. You can have a group, a monoid, a module, a ring, a field...there are ample possibilities (though I don't know enough to explain them in detail).

Related to Can a vector space also be a set?

1. Can a vector space be a set?

Yes, a vector space is a type of mathematical set that consists of vectors and operations such as addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the difference between a vector space and a set?

A vector space is a specific type of set that has additional structure and operations defined on it, while a set is a more general concept that simply refers to a collection of distinct objects.

3. Can a set contain vectors?

Yes, a set can contain any type of object, including vectors. However, for a set to be considered a vector space, it must also have defined operations such as addition and scalar multiplication on the vectors.

4. How are vector spaces and sets used in science?

Vector spaces and sets are fundamental concepts used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and relationships between different variables.

5. Are all sets also vector spaces?

No, not all sets are vector spaces. For a set to be considered a vector space, it must have specific properties and operations defined on it, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.