Can a Toilet Plunger Break Glass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical possibility of a heavy duty toilet plunger breaking a large glass mirror if it is hurled with enough force. The person asking the question is wondering if this scenario is realistic for a story they are writing.
crackerjack
It's been a while since I've been in science class and I was wondering if this was theoretically possible. It's so specific because I'm writing a story using this scenario and now am wondering if it's completely unrealistic... What are your thoughts?

Here's the question: Let's say you have a heavy duty toilet plunger. And let's say you feel like hurling it, like a baseball bat, into a large glass mirror. You're a strong person, so it's going to be a strong swing. And as I said, it's a heavy duty toilet plunger. Now would it break the glass or would the rubber of the plunger just absorb the impact?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can break the glass if the force is strong enough.

I would say that it is theoretically possible for a toilet plunger to break glass, but it would depend on several factors such as the strength and density of the glass, the force and angle of the swing, and the strength and material of the plunger itself. Glass is a brittle material, meaning it can shatter easily under sudden impact or pressure. So, if the plunger is swung with enough force and at the right angle, it could potentially break the glass. However, the rubber of the plunger may also absorb some of the impact, reducing the force on the glass and making it less likely to break. It's also worth noting that the shape and design of the plunger may affect its ability to break glass, as a flat surface may be more effective than a curved one. Ultimately, the best way to determine if a toilet plunger can break glass would be to conduct experiments with different types of plungers and glass to see the results. Without further information, it's difficult to definitively say if this scenario is completely unrealistic, but it is certainly an interesting and unique concept for a story.

Related to Can a Toilet Plunger Break Glass?

1. Can a toilet plunger really break glass?

No, a toilet plunger is not designed to break glass. It is meant to create suction to unclog toilets and drains.

2. Are there any cases where a toilet plunger has broken glass?

It is possible for a toilet plunger to break glass if it is used with excessive force or if the glass is already cracked or weakened. However, this is not a common occurrence.

3. What types of glass can a toilet plunger potentially break?

A toilet plunger can potentially break any type of glass, but the thinner and more fragile the glass, the easier it will break. It is best to avoid using a plunger near glass surfaces.

4. How much force is needed for a toilet plunger to break glass?

The amount of force needed to break glass with a toilet plunger varies depending on the thickness and strength of the glass. It is not recommended to intentionally try to break glass with a plunger.

5. Can using a toilet plunger near glass cause damage even if it doesn't break?

Yes, the suction created by a toilet plunger can cause damage to glass surfaces, such as leaving marks or scratches. It is important to be cautious when using a plunger near glass to avoid any potential damage.