Can a tetrahedron have all dihedral angles rational?

In summary, In order to solve the equation for the geometry of a tetrahedron, one would need high school level algebra, trigonometry, and solid geometry. However, it may be possible to solve the equation for the geometry of a tetrahedron in the future if one has the math skills.
Zafa Pi
At each edge of a tetrahedron the 2 common faces form a dihedral angle. Can each of these 6 angles be rational multiples of pi?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zafa:

I would assume that it would be useful to see the equations relating the six dihedral angles to the five degrees of freedom in establishing the geometry of a tetrahedron. Have you tried to develop these equations?

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Likes mfb
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Zafa:

I would assume that it would be useful to see the equations relating the six dihedral angles to the five degrees of freedom in establishing the geometry of a tetrahedron. Have you tried to develop these equations?

Regards,
Buzz
For the regular tetrahedron the dihedral angle is θ° = arccos⅓, which is irrational.
Equations good, give me some.

Zafa Pi said:
Equations good, give me some.
Hi Zafa:

Developing these equations is not trivial. I estimate it would take me quite a few hours to do this, and I am not sufficiently interested in the problem to do it. I gather from your comment that at the present time you do not yet have the math skills to do it yourself. I think you will need some high school level algebra, some trigonometry, and perhaps also some solid geometry. So, sometime in the future you will likely be able to develop the equations part of your problem yourself. From these, you should then be able to also work out the rest of the problem as well.

I wish you good luck, and also the patience to wait if you cannot find someone to teach you the math skills you need.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes OCR
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Zafa:

Developing these equations is not trivial. I estimate it would take me quite a few hours to do this, and I am not sufficiently interested in the problem to do it. I gather from your comment that at the present time you do not yet have the math skills to do it yourself. I think you will need some high school level algebra, some trigonometry, and perhaps also some solid geometry. So, sometime in the future you will likely be able to develop the equations part of your problem yourself. From these, you should then be able to also work out the rest of the problem as well.

I wish you good luck, and also the patience to wait if you cannot find someone to teach you the math skills you need.

Regards,
Buzz
LOL:-p

Likes OCR

Related to Can a tetrahedron have all dihedral angles rational?

1. Can a tetrahedron have all dihedral angles rational?

Yes, a tetrahedron can have all dihedral angles rational. In fact, there are infinitely many tetrahedra that have all rational dihedral angles.

2. What does it mean for a dihedral angle to be rational?

A rational dihedral angle is one that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. For example, an angle of 90 degrees is rational because it can be written as 90/1.

3. Are there any restrictions on the size of a tetrahedron with all rational dihedral angles?

No, there are no restrictions on the size of a tetrahedron with all rational dihedral angles. It can be any size, as long as all the angles are rational.

4. How do we know that there are infinitely many tetrahedra with all rational dihedral angles?

This is proven through a theorem called the Pythagorean-hodograph (PH) theorem. It states that for any given set of rational numbers, there exists a tetrahedron with those numbers as its dihedral angles. Since there are infinitely many rational numbers, there are also infinitely many tetrahedra with all rational dihedral angles.

5. Can a tetrahedron have all dihedral angles irrational?

Yes, a tetrahedron can have all dihedral angles irrational. In fact, the majority of tetrahedra have at least one irrational dihedral angle. It is much more rare for a tetrahedron to have all rational dihedral angles.