Can a Stuntman Jump Safely into a Pool from a 50-Meter Building?

In summary: However, this velocity is not reasonable for a human to jump from. The building must be at least 31 meters tall for the stuntman to be able to land safely.
Alimarin

Homework Statement

A stuntman must jump in a pool from a 50.0 meter tall building. The pool is a horizontal distance of 21.0 meters from the base of the building.

a) What is the initial velocity of the stuntman to be able to land in the pool?
b) Do you think this velocity is reasonable for a human?
c) Realistically, how tall must this building be for the stuntman to be able to make the landing safely?

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2aΔx
Vf = Vi + aΔt
Xf-Xi = Δx
Given:
Xix = 0m
Xfx = 21m
Xiy = 50m
Xfy = 0m
Δx = 21m
Δy = -50m
a= -9.81m/s^2
Viγ = 0m/s

Relevant Unknowns:
Δt = ?
Vfγ = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2aΔx
Vf^2 = 0^2 + 2(-9.81m/s^2)(-50m)
Vf^2 = 2(9.81m/s^2)(50m)
Vf^2 = 981
Vf = 31.3 m/s

Vf = Vi + aΔt
31.3 = 0 + (-9.81m/s^2) Δt
31.3 = -9.81m/s^2 (Δt)
31.3 = Δt
-9.81m/s^2

Yeah, you see the issue, I made a stupid mistake and my brain is on 0 hours of sleep. and I have school in 1 hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
You were close, Vf^2 = 981 is right. But then you chose the positive root. The actual answer is the negative root Vf = -31.3 because the stuntman is falling downwards. So the change in time is the positive value of the answer you got.

BruceW said:
You were close, Vf^2 = 981 is right. But then you chose the positive root. The actual answer is the negative root Vf = -31.3 because the stuntman is falling downwards.

But mathematically that would take me into irrational numbers, E.g. 31.3i

Which would mean I would have to do some algebraic things I don't even remember how to do anymore.

I just realized that square roots have a + or -, never mind.

See? My brain doesn't have it's sensitivity to serotonin at the moment.

No worries, good luck finishing the question.

Alright, this time I did it right.

Garcias

Related to Can a Stuntman Jump Safely into a Pool from a 50-Meter Building?

1. What is two-dimensional motion?

Two-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically represented by a plane or a coordinate system. This means that the object is moving in both the x and y directions at the same time.

2. How is two-dimensional motion different from one-dimensional motion?

One-dimensional motion only involves movement in a single direction, such as moving forward or backward. Two-dimensional motion involves movement in both the x and y directions simultaneously, making it more complex.

3. What are some examples of two-dimensional motion?

Some examples of two-dimensional motion include a ball being thrown through the air, a car driving along a curved road, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.

4. How is two-dimensional motion described mathematically?

Two-dimensional motion can be described using vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. The position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in two dimensions can be represented using vector equations.

5. What factors affect two-dimensional motion?

The factors that affect two-dimensional motion include initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and the angle of the object's trajectory. These factors can impact the object's speed, direction, and overall motion path.