Can a Simple Copper Coil Device Provide Efficient EM Propulsion?

In summary, the conversation discusses various options for an easy and cheap electromagnetic propulsion device. The options mentioned include photon acceleration, homopolar generators and motors, rail guns, and coil guns. However, it is noted that photon acceleration may not be practical due to its low momentum. The conversation also mentions the use of a Thompson's Coil, but it is unclear if it would function as intended.
Mk
Any ideas for an easy cheap EM propulsion device? Is a homopolar generator the same thing as a homopolar motor?

Physics news on Phys.org
use the momentum of a photon to propell yourself. Thats the great thing about photons, they have no rest mass but they do have momentum. The problem is that the momentum is not great enough to achieve great accelerations.

Regards,

Nenad

I was thinking more along the lines of electricity and magnetism. I don't know if you were serious or not with that, photon acceleration, but I want something EASY and CHEAP, that I can do without contacting a major laboratory.

-Thanks, Mk

Mk, photon momentum i.e. radiation pressure is a result of the electromagnetic field (rather than a particle) carrying energy. This is how a solar sail works. It doesn't get any more electromagnetic than photons.

A homopolar generator is the reverse of a homopolar motor. As a generator, it converts mechanical work to electrical current, and as a motor it converts electrical current to mechanical energy (the same relationship applies to any basic motor-generator combo).

Rail guns are an excellent electromagnetic propulsion device. The physics of how they operate is semi-complex, so I will refer you to google. Regardless, rail guns are only practical for accelerating highly rigid objects.

Well, I know the photon is as electromagnetic-related as you can get, but I was thinking more along the lines of homopolar motors, rail guns, coil guns, and such.

-Thanks, Mk

If I made a copper wire coil around a metal tube, and a circular cuttout of a copper sheet, with a hole in the middle, slipped the coil-tube combo through the hole, and ran electricity through the middle coil, would that function as a Thompson's Coil? Or does it take more?

Last edited:

Related to Can a Simple Copper Coil Device Provide Efficient EM Propulsion?

What is "Easy, cheap, EM propulsion"?

"Easy, cheap, EM propulsion" refers to a type of propulsion system that uses electromagnetic (EM) fields to propel objects or vehicles without the use of traditional fuels or engines. It is often considered a more environmentally friendly and cost-effective alternative to traditional propulsion methods.

How does "Easy, cheap, EM propulsion" work?

EM propulsion works by creating an electric current through a conducting material, which in turn creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the Earth's magnetic field to create a force that can propel an object forward. This force can be controlled and directed to steer the object in different directions.

What are the potential applications of "Easy, cheap, EM propulsion"?

EM propulsion has a wide range of potential applications, including space travel, transportation on Earth, and even underwater propulsion. It can also be used to power smaller devices, such as drones or robots, and has been explored as a potential method for launching satellites into orbit.

What are the advantages of "Easy, cheap, EM propulsion"?

One of the main advantages of EM propulsion is its efficiency and environmental friendliness. It does not require the use of traditional fuels, which can be expensive and harmful to the environment. Additionally, it can potentially reach higher speeds and travel longer distances than other propulsion methods.

Are there any limitations or challenges with "Easy, cheap, EM propulsion"?

While EM propulsion has many potential benefits, there are also some limitations and challenges that need to be addressed. One challenge is the high initial cost of developing and implementing EM propulsion systems. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and more research and development is needed to make it a viable option for large-scale use.