Can a matrix be transformed like a vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transforming a matrix A into another matrix B in a similar way as M changes vectors in V into vectors in W, creating a homomorphism relationship between A and V and B and W. It is determined that this is possible if M is an isomorphism, but not always in general. The necessary condition for this to occur is for A to map the kernel of M into itself. The conversation also touches on the difference between homomorphism and isomorphism and the difference between matrix arithmetic and number arithmetic.
snoopies622
Suppose I have a vector space V and a matrix M such that multiplying every vector in V by M creates another vector space W. Now suppose I have another matrix A that I can also use to change vectors in V into other vectors. Does there exist a third matrix B such that - for any vector v1 in V - if Av1 = v2, Mv1 = w1 and Mv2 = w2 then Bw1 = w2 ? In other words, is there a way to transform matrix A into a matrix B analogous to the way M changes vectors in V into vectors in W, so that a kind of homomorphism is arrived at between the relationship between A and vectors in V and the relationship between B and the vectors in W?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes if M is an isomorphiosm, but no in general. e.g. if Mv1 = w1 = 0, then Bw1 must be zero, but there is no reason to expect Mv2 to be zero. I hope got this straight. but at least it looks as if you would need A to map the kernel of M into itself. Then probably you are ok. basically you are asking whether, given a subspace K of V, and a linear map A:V-->V, when does A induce a linear map of quotient spaces V/K --> V/K. and the necessary condition is that A map K into K.

Thanks mathwonk, that was very helpful. It made me
— look up the difference between homomorphism and isomorphism (it's been a while!), and
— see another way that matrix arithmetic is different from number arithmetic, in particular, if Av=w there does not necessarily exist a kind of multiplicative inverse matrix A' such that A'w=v.

Related to Can a matrix be transformed like a vector?

1. Can a matrix and a vector be transformed in the same way?

Yes, a matrix and a vector can both be transformed using linear transformations. This means that they can be scaled, rotated, reflected, or sheared without affecting the underlying structure of the data.

2. What is the difference between a matrix and a vector transformation?

The main difference between a matrix and a vector transformation is the number of dimensions they operate on. A vector transformation only affects one-dimensional data, while a matrix transformation can affect data in multiple dimensions.

3. Can a matrix be transformed into a vector?

No, a matrix cannot be transformed into a vector. They are two different types of mathematical objects with different properties and operations. However, a vector can be extracted from a matrix by selecting a specific row or column.

4. Is it possible to transform a matrix without using a linear transformation?

No, a matrix can only be transformed using linear transformations. This is because the structure of a matrix is defined by its rows and columns, and any non-linear transformation would alter this structure.

5. How do I know which transformation to use for a specific matrix or vector?

The specific transformation to use will depend on the desired outcome and the properties of the data. Some common transformations include scaling, rotation, and shearing. It is important to understand the properties of the data and how each transformation will affect it before making a decision.