Can a locally non-special place emit Hawking radiation from a black hole?

In summary, the radiation is created by particles popping into existence just outside the event horizon.
wabbit
Gold Member
Hello. I'm thinking about Hawking radation and there's one thing I find a bit strange. The radiation is usually described as originating at he even horizon. The explanation makes sense and all, but still how can this locally non-special place become the seat of a local phenomenon(emitting Hawking radiation) ?
So my question is : is it possible to interpret it diferently ? Could it possibly be described as particules tunelling from the singularity/quantum region into outer space (outside the event horizon) ? I guess this could be easy to rule out, maybe the decay of his tunelling with radius is all wrong... ? So does this make any kind of sense ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hawking radiation is not emitted from the EH, it is a result of (simplistic description) virtual particles popping into existence just outside the EH and one of them crossing over and not being able to get back, so the other just wanders away.

Hawking himself has said that this whole "virtual particle" description of the radiation is an analogy, not a statement of fact. It is the only way he could think of to translate the math of what's actually happening into understandable English.

Likes wabbit
Thanks, this makes sense. However, an alternative interpretation might be equally valid if it matches the calculation. I have no valid reason to think tunelling might be one, but I'd be interested to know if it's been studied...

wabbit said:
Thanks, this makes sense. However, an alternative interpretation might be equally valid if it matches the calculation. I have no valid reason to think tunelling might be one, but I'd be interested to know if it's been studied...

Yes, there is a model in which one component is the pair production which happens behind the horizon with the positive energy particle tunnelling out:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9907001

Likes wabbit
Maybe this pedagogic paper helps:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163

It discusses the notion of "particle" in QFT in chapter 9, and the relation with the Unruh effect and Hawking radiation in section 9.6. I found it very useful.

Likes wabbit
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

haushofer said:
Maybe this pedagogic paper helps:
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163
It does! Also saved it for future reference.

sheaf said:
Yes, there is a model in which one component is the pair production which happens behind the horizon with the positive energy particle tunnelling out:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9907001
Interesting. Tunnelling happens at the horizon so it looks related to the usual description.
I now think what I had in mind is most likely meaningless: I was talking about tunneling particles from the singularity to the horizon which, aside from the large macroscopic distance, seems to be like using "a perturbative expansion around a singularity".. Not so promising.

wabbit said:
Hello. I'm thinking about Hawking radation and there's one thing I find a bit strange. The radiation is usually described as originating at he even horizon. The explanation makes sense and all, but still how can this locally non-special place become the seat of a local phenomenon(emitting Hawking radiation) ?
An explicitly local description of particle creation by gravitational backgrounds (including those of black holes) is presented in
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0205022
It is shown that particle creation only happens at positions where metric is time dependent, and explained why in the case of Hawking radiation this means - near the horizon.

Related to Can a locally non-special place emit Hawking radiation from a black hole?

1. What is a semiclassical black hole?

A semiclassical black hole is a theoretical object that combines elements of both classical and quantum physics. It is a black hole that takes into account quantum effects near its event horizon, where the laws of physics are believed to break down.

2. How is a semiclassical black hole different from a classical black hole?

A semiclassical black hole includes quantum effects, such as Hawking radiation, near its event horizon. This means that it is not completely black and can emit particles, unlike a classical black hole which is completely dark and does not emit anything.

3. What is Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical phenomenon proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking. It is the process by which a black hole emits particles due to quantum effects near its event horizon. This causes the black hole to lose mass over time and eventually evaporate.

4. How is a semiclassical black hole studied and observed?

Currently, semiclassical black holes can only be studied through mathematical models and theoretical calculations. They have not been observed directly, but their effects, such as Hawking radiation, can potentially be detected through advanced technology and experiments.

5. What are the implications of a semiclassical black hole for our understanding of the universe?

A semiclassical black hole has significant implications for our understanding of the universe, as it combines two fundamental theories of physics - general relativity and quantum mechanics. It also challenges our current understanding of black holes and their behavior. Further research and study of semiclassical black holes could potentially lead to a better understanding of the nature of gravity and the universe as a whole.