Can a Car Perform the Same on a Planet with Less Gravity?

• Thread starter electrocake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary, the car would need to have a more powerful engine in order to keep the same 0-60 time on planet Q as it does on Earth.
electrocake
Hello, I'm not much of a physics entrepeneur, but I was just discussing this with my friend, and hunger for a more difinitive answer came upon me:

Say you design a car, and it does 0-60km/h in 2 seconds.

Now say you want to redesign the car to do exactly the same results on planet Q, which has 50% the gravity of Earth.

Basically, we agreed that you would need to make sure it had the same amount of traction on Q as it did on Earth, so you would need to increase the weight. So to do that you increase its mass.

I then stipulated that the Q Design of the car would need a more powerful engine in order to move the more massive body of the car. My friend disagreed, he said the engine could be equal or less powerful to still get the 0-60km/h in 2 seconds.

Probably an elementry question, but what are your thoughts? :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im only in high school taking pretty low level physics but if you increase the mass, the car's inertia will be higher meaning you will need a more powerful engine.

I think that sounds sensible...

A larger force is required to accelerate a larger mass at the same rate as a smaller mass. Since P = Fv, a more powerful engine will be required.

Last edited:
Ahh excellent, thank you!

Although your primary question has been answered, I will point out that there are other ways to increase the traction that wouldn't require more power. This would involve better tires and suspension set-up, alteration of weight-transfer characteristics, and various surface modifications to increase aerodynamic downforce. (That is assuming that such are not already optimized.)

Oh brilliant. Yeah we were considering if there were exactly the same car in shape, size, appearance, etc. Which essentially is pretty stupid, I guess, hehe.

You don't even need to increase the traction! As long as the coefficient of friction is large enough to stop slipping in either case they would perform the same. You could also simply deflate the tyres a little on the lower g planet.

electrocake said:
Which essentially is pretty stupid, I guess, hehe.
Not at all. I assumed that you meant that, which is why I specified that such had not already been optimized. It's just that you have to point out things like that when posting a question. In science, all variables have to be considered.

electrocake said:
Hello, I'm not much of a physics entrepeneur, but I was just discussing this with my friend, and hunger for a more difinitive answer came upon me:

Say you design a car, and it does 0-60km/h in 2 seconds.

Now say you want to redesign the car to do exactly the same results on planet Q, which has 50% the gravity of Earth.

Basically, we agreed that you would need to make sure it had the same amount of traction on Q as it did on Earth, so you would need to increase the weight. So to do that you increase its mass.

I then stipulated that the Q Design of the car would need a more powerful engine in order to move the more massive body of the car. My friend disagreed, he said the engine could be equal or less powerful to still get the 0-60km/h in 2 seconds.

Probably an elementry question, but what are your thoughts? :smile:

actually, you are all wrong guys

you can't get the same 0-60 by making the weight twice and making the power twice also

f=m.a , and f=c.N , c being the coefficient of friction and N is basically the weight=gravitational acceleration*mass

since grav. acc will be halved and the mass will be doubled, the f in the formula f=c.N will be the same (which is the max. possible traction)

and from f=m.a, you will get an acceleration which is half of the original one since m is doubled in this formula..

so your 0-60 time will be at least doubled(4 seconds), no matter how much power or mass you add to the vehicle( i assumed that the car constantly spins its wheels up to 60 mph,or its just at the edge of slipping, which is a remarkable assumption)

the only way to keep its 0-60 time 2 seconds is to increase the coef. of friction, by changing the tires, or put some kind of rocket like propulsion

Following the equation [tex] P=F.v [/tex] the "power" needed to accelerate the car if the gravity in planet Q is g/2 then the P needed will be 1/2- Power needed to run the car on earth, this is related to the fact that there will be a "friction" for a "frictionless" road then the power to run the car to 60 km/h in two seconds will be the same, no matter the gravity (considering that the car can't fly :rolleyes: so z=0 as a constraint.

Related to Can a Car Perform the Same on a Planet with Less Gravity?

1. What is the purpose of having a discussion with a friend?

The purpose of having a discussion with a friend is to exchange thoughts, ideas, and opinions on a particular topic or issue. It allows for open communication and can help deepen the bond between friends.

2. How do you initiate a meaningful discussion with a friend?

To initiate a meaningful discussion with a friend, it is important to choose a topic that both parties are interested in and comfortable discussing. It is also helpful to ask open-ended questions and actively listen to your friend's perspective.

3. What are the benefits of having discussions with friends?

Having discussions with friends can provide a sense of support and understanding. It can also help broaden your perspective and challenge your own beliefs. Additionally, it can improve communication and problem-solving skills.

4. How can disagreements be handled in a discussion with a friend?

In a discussion with a friend, it is important to respect each other's opinions and avoid becoming defensive. If there is a disagreement, try to find common ground and focus on understanding each other's perspectives rather than trying to prove one person right.

5. Are there any topics that should be avoided in a discussion with a friend?

It is important to be mindful of the sensitivity of certain topics and to avoid discussing them if it could potentially harm the friendship. It is also important to respect boundaries and not force someone to discuss something they are not comfortable with.