Can a 2.5 Inch Cube Egg Carrier Survive a 20-Foot Drop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the restrictions and challenges of creating a carrier for an egg drop experiment. The carrier must fit within a 2.5 inch cube, weigh under 150 grams with the egg, and have half of the egg exposed. The participants are allowed to use any material except for fancy parachutes or braking devices. The person asks for suggestions on carrier designs that meet the size restriction and wonders if there is a difference between dropping the egg upright or on its side. They also share their most successful carrier design, which still has flaws of cracking the top or bottom of the egg upon impact. Someone offers a solution to prevent the top of the egg from hitting the ground by using sticks or straws in the corners of the carrier
parksobong
I know there are several other "help, egg drop" threads in this forum, but my case if slightly different so here it is.

I'm dropping an egg (free fall) from about twenty feet. The restrictions for the carrier are: (a) carrier must fit inside of the dimensions of a 2.5 inch cube, (b) together with the egg it must be under 150 grams, and (c) half of the egg must be exposed when it is inside the carrier.

We can use any kind of material we want, we just can't have fancy parachutes or other braking devices on the carrier.

The dimension restriction is the most annoying part that gets me every time with a new design. Do you know of any carrier designs that will be under 2.5 inches in height?

Also, is there a big difference between dropping an egg upright or laid on its side?

Here's my most successful carrier yet: http://corea2k.com/blog/wp-images/egg_carrier_1.jpg

The thing is, though, it bounces back up upon impact and cracks the top of the egg. I tried putting quarters as weights on the bottom and that makes the bottom of the egg crack.

If you have any insight on this problem, please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if the top only needs to be visible, then you could take some small sticks of wood or something and place them in the corners, with the straws. Then, when it flips over the top of the egg won't hit the ground.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your egg drop project with us. It sounds like you have already put a lot of thought and effort into your carrier design. While I can't guarantee a perfect solution, I can offer some suggestions that may help.

Firstly, for the dimension restriction, you may want to consider using thinner materials such as paper or cardboard. These materials can easily be cut and folded to fit within the 2.5 inch cube. You could also try using lightweight materials like Styrofoam or balsa wood.

As for the weight restriction, it may be helpful to experiment with different materials and configurations to find the lightest option that still provides enough protection for the egg. For example, instead of using quarters as weights, you could try using smaller coins or even small pebbles. You could also try spacing out the weights to distribute the weight more evenly.

In terms of the orientation of the egg, it may be worth trying both upright and laid on its side to see which works best for your design. Depending on the materials used and the structure of your carrier, one orientation may provide better protection than the other.

Lastly, for the issue of the carrier bouncing back up upon impact, you could try adding some sort of cushioning material on the bottom of the carrier. This could be in the form of foam, cotton balls, or even bubble wrap. The key is to absorb some of the impact energy and prevent the carrier from bouncing back up.

I hope these suggestions give you some ideas to work with. Good luck with your project and I hope your carrier design is successful in protecting your egg!

Related to Can a 2.5 Inch Cube Egg Carrier Survive a 20-Foot Drop?

1. How does the egg drop experiment work?

The egg drop experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the concept of force and motion. In this experiment, an egg is dropped from a certain height and the goal is to design a contraption that will protect the egg from breaking upon impact. This involves understanding how different forces, such as gravity and air resistance, act on the egg during its fall.

2. What materials can be used for the egg drop experiment?

There are a variety of materials that can be used for the egg drop experiment, including cardboard, straws, balloons, bubble wrap, and foam. The key is to design a contraption that will absorb the impact of the egg and slow down its fall. It is also important to consider the weight and size of the materials to ensure that the contraption is not too heavy or bulky.

3. What factors affect the outcome of the egg drop experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the outcome of the egg drop experiment. These include the height from which the egg is dropped, the design and materials of the contraption, and external factors such as wind or uneven surfaces. The shape and weight of the egg can also play a role in the outcome.

4. What are some tips for a successful egg drop design?

Some tips for a successful egg drop design include making sure the contraption is sturdy and able to withstand impact, using materials that can absorb shock and slow down the fall of the egg, and testing the contraption before the actual drop. It is also important to consider the shape and weight of the egg and how it will affect the design.

5. What can we learn from the egg drop experiment?

The egg drop experiment teaches us about the laws of motion and how forces can affect the motion of an object. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills as we design and test our contraptions. Additionally, the experiment can help us understand the importance of trial and error and the scientific method in finding solutions to problems.