California gets hammered by Pineapple Express - 164 [or 165] mph winds

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    california
In summary, the wind gusts in the Lake Tahoe area were really high. One area had wind gusts reaching 165 mph.

Ivan Seeking said:
Not really. I made jerky a few times but that's about it. However, meat smokers are a common item around here. With all of the hunting and fishing, there are smoked meats of all kinds. Smoked Salmon is probably the most popular. [not smoked, but we recently had some bear pepperoni!]

Bear... pepperoni?! Ivan, you lead a very interesting life, I must say!

Physics news on Phys.org

nismaratwork said:
Bear... pepperoni?! Ivan, you lead a very interesting life, I must say!

It just goes with the locale. It sure beats spending my life on the LA freeways. :biggrin:

I didn't really care for it that much, btw, but it was interesting to try.

Ivan Seeking said:
It just goes with the locale. It sure beats spending my life on the LA freeways. :biggrin:

Ooooh, LA freeways... I'd rather eat a gun, never mind bear pepperoni!

My uncle had a beautiful home on a low-lying floodplain, in Huntington Beach, which may be experiencing siginficant tidal surge as I type this. Warnings are up all over that part of the State, for coastal communities. A few years ago I suggested that if the GW advocates are right, he could be a sitting duck. His house was only a few feet above sea level and a quarter-mile from the water, so he was in a prime location to take a big hit from a freak storm. While making it clear that no one can say for sure, I did suggest that he may want to consider getting out before something happens. Something like this would likely wipe him out very late in life. For other reasons they sold their house and moved North this year, but if his old house takes a hit, I'm going to look like a genius. :biggrin:

They lived there for over 35 years. But when that home was built along with hundreds of others, the laws were relaxed for the sake of profit. Those homes never should have been built. For that reason he couldn't get flood insurance at an affordable price.

Last edited:

Have been seeing a few news clips about CA. I guess I won't complain about this snow. :rolleyes:

Ivan Seeking said:
My uncle had a beautiful home on a low-lying floodplain, in Huntington Beach, which may be experiencing siginficant tidal surge as I type this. Warnings are up all over that part of the State, for coastal communities. A few years ago I suggested that if the GW advocates are right, he could be a sitting duck. His house was only a few feet above sea level and a quarter-mile from the water, so he was in a prime location to take a big hit from a freak storm. While making it clear that no one can say for sure, I did suggest that he may want to consider getting out before something happens. Something like this would likely wipe him out very late in life. For other reasons they sold their house and moved North this year, but if his old house takes a hit, I'm going to look like a genius. :biggrin:

They lived there for over 35 years. But when that home was built along with hundreds of others, the laws were relaxed for the sake of profit. Those homes never should have been built. For that reason he couldn't get flood insurance at an affordable price.

If you called it that well, even if it's just luck, you should get a cut of the sale of that house, retroactively. :wink:

turbo-1: Yeah, at least on this coast we're not swimming to work.

Oh... someone corrected a tiiiiitle... :biggrin:

I'm still impressed.

Out of the mountains! There was an impressive amount of (unfortunately very soft, powdery) snow in the Sierras, especially on leeward slopes. I had to abandon my primary target after finding myself slogging through 5 foot deep snowdrifts, and with a fresh snowstorm approaching Tuesday night I wasn't going to be off the ridge in time, if I kept going. But I had a great time nevertheless - sharpened some skills, recalibrated my sense of snow consolidation, and helped three relatively underprepared people summit a 9000 ft peak on Tuesday and get down safely.

Gokul43201 said:
Out of the mountains! There was an impressive amount of (unfortunately very soft, powdery) snow in the Sierras, especially on leeward slopes. I had to abandon my primary target after finding myself slogging through 5 foot deep snowdrifts, and with a fresh snowstorm approaching Tuesday night I wasn't going to be off the ridge in time, if I kept going. But I had a great time nevertheless - sharpened some skills, recalibrated my sense of snow consolidation, and helped three relatively underprepared people summit a 9000 ft peak on Tuesday and get down safely.
Sounds fun. :eek:

Glad you had a good time, and more importantly made it back safely.

Gokul43201 said:

Wow. Just... climbers are charmingly, happily, and functionally INSANE! :

5 FEET and another storm... oh my god... I wouldn't go out in the STREET in that! That said, those are three very lucky people for your being there... definitely a 'good crazy', like firefighters.

Ivan Seeking said:
I believe CNN reported the peak gust of 165 mph, but I'm still not seeing another source for that, so maybe that wasn't a reliable report. Does anyone else see the 165 mph reference? I do find several sources for the reported 155 mph, as was originally linked.

I may need to change the title.

Mammoth Lakes reported gusts up to 165 on the mountain. This according to a local paper that week.

Phrak said:
Mammoth Lakes reported gusts up to 165 on the mountain. This according to a local paper that week.

:smile:

Did you see how quickly that title went back to 165? I think you made a certain Ivan happy. :wink:

nismaratwork said:

Did you see how quickly that title went back to 165? I think you made a certain Ivan happy. :wink:

It gets better. I was only reading the paper in passing anyway, and it's long gone as fire starter. Apparently it was 164 mph.

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20101222/COMMUNITY/101229965"

Last edited by a moderator:

Phrak said:
It gets better. I was only reading the paper in passing anyway, and it's long gone as fire starter. Apparently it was 164 mph.

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20101222/COMMUNITY/101229965"

Heh... come on, what are you trying to give us all whiplash? It's really windy...

Last edited by a moderator:

nismaratwork said:

Heh, vindicated, yes, but the 165 you see in the title is only a remnant that goes with the page. I didn't change the thread title back, but I will now. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
Heh, vindicated, yes, but the 165 you see in the title is only a remnant that goes with the page. I didn't change the thread title back, but I will now. :biggrin:

I like the new title. :smile:

I wanted to put [STRIKE]155[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]165[/STRIKE] 164, but I don't think the strike works in the title space. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I wanted to put [STRIKE]155[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]165[/STRIKE] 164, but I don't think the strike works in the title space. :biggrin:

It only matters that you WANT to; this is a good thing. :approve:

Still raining here. And it's going to rain tomorrow. :(

Math Is Hard said:
Still raining here. And it's going to rain tomorrow. :(
Hope you don't start getting mold.

Evo said:
Hope you don't start getting mold.

That could happen. My neighbors had a problem with it.

I guess I should be grateful I'm not up to my knees in mud like some folks out here.

MIH's neighborhood might start going upscale as multi-million-dollar mansions slide in from the hills. :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
MIH's neighborhood might start going upscale as multi-million-dollar mansions slide in from the hills. :biggrin:

Oh, man. I hope the Kardashians don't end up next door.

Math Is Hard said:

Math Is Hard said:
Ack! They are the definition of "being famous for being famous".

Math Is Hard said:
Poor car.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-12/58437174.jpg
Hey, I took a picture just like that, a few days ago ... different color scheme though.

351ehwp.jpg

Gokul43201 said:
Hey, I took a picture just like that, a few days ago ... different color scheme though.

351ehwp.jpg

That's either the mountain you were on, or it's the one the owner of that car is thinking of leaping off. *looks at car*... think it's a total loss? heh...

Math Is Hard said:
Poor car.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-12/58437174.jpg

Don't feel too badly. With a little water and TLC, an entire car lot will be blooming there next spring.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Don't feel too badly. With a little water and TLC, an entire car lot will be blooming there next spring.

That guy looks like he's ready to make enough 'eye-water' to loosen up that mud. Ah yes: weep to wash away the mud, it's not just sad, it's policy! :wink: