Calculus with Analytic Geometry 1 Book?

In summary, Anton, Larson, and Thomas are three very popular examples, and you might find that one or more of them explains things in a way that you find more understandable.
Kal-El
I am a sophomore at Penn State and I am taking Calculus for the second time, I didn't fail the first time, but I didn't want to take the chance I might get a D so I dropped it. Anyhow I am looking a great Math book to learn from while I am learning it again in class. We are using Calculus: Early Transcendentals (Stewart's Calculus Series) 7th and 6th edition, but I feel like the book doesn't do a good job explaining things. The how and why of the problems isn't there. So is there a great math book ( not a textbook or anything) that I could use on the side that teaches Calculus with great explanations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps "Analysis in One Variable" by Estep. It does a great job explaining the underlying principles. But it doesn't cover as much as Stewarts book.

I really think your best bet would be to look at other freshman calc books and see if they clear things up for you --- Anton, Larson, and Thomas are three very popular examples, and you might find that one or more of them explains things in a way that you find more understandable.

But if you absolutely don't want a textbook, then all you can do is try books like "Calculus for Dummies," or "Calculus Demystified," or stuff like that. I've never read them, so I don't know how good they are.

With all due respect to other posters, including those who always recommend Spivak or Apostol, I strongly doubt that analysis-based texts are what you want, if you were flirting with a D your first time around.

You might also consider that the problem may not be with calculus, but with its prereqs. If you think you may be a little shaky in algebra or trig or graphing functions, you might want to get a PREcalculus text and work through it carefully.

Unfortunately, the precalc text I usually recommend is also by Stewart. You might try Swokowski's, though.

Last edited:
Read the Amazon reviews of Calculus by Gilbert Strang. If you like the book reviews, you can google his website - Wellesley-Cambridge Press and order the text and the solutions manual and the study guide if you're still interested. If he still has the first edition on hand you'll probably get a real good deal on it.

Which parts did you find the most confusing? Do you have a harder time applying the techniques or understanding the concepts? What is your major?

I recommend the paperback Calculus by my friend and colleague, Elliot Gootman. It was written exactly for people like you, who are taking calculus and struggling with it. It costs $10 new on Amazon where it has 22 reviews, 19 of them 5 stars, ( two 4 stars and one 3 stars). (And the 3 star review is for an error in a link provided by Amazon, not for Gootman's book.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0812098196/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
Perhaps "Analysis in One Variable" by Estep. It does a great job explaining the underlying principles. But it doesn't cover as much as Stewarts book.

This book looks great... I like the way he words things. thank-you

brocks said:
Actually you can download a slightly older but perfectly good edition of Strang's book, study guide, and solutions manual for free from the OCW site:

http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/

and I somehow forgot to mention the video lectures available at sites like OCW and Khan Academy.

I just downloaded it, it looks ok..Any and all help will awesome. O and Khan academy is awesome, I found out about it to late last semester. Thanks for the help.

osnarf said:
Which parts did you find the most confusing? Do you have a harder time applying the techniques or understanding the concepts? What is your major?

Currently I am an Aerospace Engineer, but that might change to a different engineering or some form of science like physics which I love. Calculus wasn't hard, if I a year to learn it like in high school well I would of had no problem. It was more the speed at which we were learning and the fact that I wrote it off, didn't try my hardest because before that I had never seen calculus. It was a mistake. The thing I had trouble with I'd say was applying the techniques. I had a real hard time with exponents such as:
y=2^sin(Piex) or y=e^-5x times cos3x.
I didn't fully understand discontinuous problems such as:
Explain why the function f(x)= x^2-x/x^2-1 if x can't=1 and 1 if x=1 is discontinuous at x=1. Sketch the graph of the function?
Sketch graphs too like this too. : sketch the graph of tan example of a function f such that-
f(0)=3, limit as x approaches 0- f(x)=4, limit as x approaches 4+ f(x)= infinity, etc like 5 more of that variation all in one graph.
Here is another one,The limit as h approaches 0 cos(pie+h)+1/h represents the derivative of some function f at some point x=a. state an f and a.
Then just finding the serivative of functions 7= x^2 + 4x+3/ squareroot x.
of course show x^3-15x+c=0 has at least one root in the interval [-2,2].
Hospital rule also.
That's about it.

mathwonk said:
I recommend the paperback Calculus by my friend and colleague, Elliot Gootman. It was written exactly for people like you, who are taking calculus and struggling with it. It costs $10 new on Amazon where it has 22 reviews, 19 of them 5 stars, ( two 4 stars and one 3 stars). (And the 3 star review is for an error in a link provided by Amazon, not for Gootman's book.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0812098196/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Another awesome book, cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculus with Analytic Geometry 1 Book?

1. What is calculus with analytic geometry?

Calculus with analytic geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines concepts from calculus and geometry to study and analyze mathematical functions and their graphs. It involves using advanced algebraic and geometric techniques to solve problems and model real-world situations.

2. Is calculus with analytic geometry 1 a difficult course?

Calculus with analytic geometry 1 can be challenging for some students as it introduces new and abstract concepts. However, with consistent practice and a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry, it can be manageable and even enjoyable.

3. What topics are covered in a calculus with analytic geometry 1 book?

A typical calculus with analytic geometry 1 book covers topics such as limits, derivatives, applications of derivatives, integrals, and applications of integrals. It may also cover topics such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, optimization, and curve sketching.

4. How can I prepare for a calculus with analytic geometry 1 course?

To prepare for a calculus with analytic geometry 1 course, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and precalculus. Familiarizing yourself with basic calculus concepts and practicing problem-solving can also be helpful.

5. What are the applications of calculus with analytic geometry?

Calculus with analytic geometry has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, motion, and many other real-world scenarios.