Calculus Taylor Approximation Proof

In summary, to show that if |nx| < 1, the equation (1+x)^n = e^n(x-(1/2)x^2) is exact up to (and including) the x^2 order, one can use the Taylor Expansion for both sides of the equation. This can be done by first showing that the left and right hand sides of the equation have the same Taylor Series, and then using the given hint to simplify the right hand side. However, it is important to note that the question is asking to show that if |nx| < 1, then the equation is true, not the other way around.
Elvin Rivera
Member warned about deleting the template
1. The question is. Show that if |nx| <1, the following is exact up to (and including) the x^2 order. The hint giving says to use the Taylor Expansion for both sides of the equation2. (1+x)^n = e^n(x-(1/2)x^2) ; the n(x-(1/2)x^2) is all an exponent3. My first attempt was to take the taylor series of both sides. The left hand side is pretty easy.

1 + nx + (n/2)(n-1)x^2 = LHS

the right hand side gives the same thing though

f(0) = RHS = 1
f'(0) = n(1-x)e^n(x-(1/2)x^2) = n
f''(0) = -n*e^n(x-(1/2)x^2 + n^2 (1+x)^2 * e^n(x-(1/2)x^2) = -n + n^2

which in the taylor series gives the same as the LHS

1 + nx + (n/2)(n-1)x^2 = RHS

but now I'm stuck... how do I show that |nx| < 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elvin Rivera said:
1. The question is. Show that if |nx| <1, the following is exact up to (and including) the x^2 order. The hint giving says to use the Taylor Expansion for both sides of the equation2. (1+x)^n = e^n(x-(1/2)x^2) ; the n(x-(1/2)x^2) is all an exponent
Then use parentheses to make that clear: (1+ x)^n= e^(n(x- (1/2)x^2)).
3. My first attempt was to take the taylor series of both sides. The left hand side is pretty easy.

1 + nx + (n/2)(n-1)x^2 = LHS

the right hand side gives the same thing though

f(0) = RHS = 1
f'(0) = n(1-x)e^n(x-(1/2)x^2) = n
f''(0) = -n*e^n(x-(1/2)x^2 + n^2 (1+x)^2 * e^n(x-(1/2)x^2) = -n + n^2

which in the taylor series gives the same as the LHS

1 + nx + (n/2)(n-1)x^2 = RHS

but now I'm stuck... how do I show that |nx| < 1
You don't- that is not what is asked. You are asked to show that if |nx|< 1 then that equality is true, not the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Then use parentheses to make that clear: (1+ x)^n= e^(n(x- (1/2)x^2)).
You don't- that is not what is asked. You are asked to show that if |nx|< 1 then that equality is true, not the other way around.

Any hint on how to start that?

Related to Calculus Taylor Approximation Proof

1. What is the concept behind Taylor Approximation?

The concept behind Taylor Approximation is to approximate a function with a polynomial that has the same value, slope, and curvature at a given point as the original function.

2. How is the Taylor Approximation formula derived?

The Taylor Approximation formula is derived from the Taylor series, which is an infinite sum of terms that represent the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. By truncating the series at a certain point, we can get a polynomial approximation of the function.

3. What is the purpose of proving the Taylor Approximation formula?

The purpose of proving the Taylor Approximation formula is to provide a mathematical justification for the use of this method in approximating functions. It also helps to understand the accuracy and limitations of the approximation.

4. How do you prove the Taylor Approximation formula?

To prove the Taylor Approximation formula, we use the concept of a remainder term, which represents the difference between the actual function and the polynomial approximation. By manipulating the remainder term and showing that it approaches 0 as the number of terms in the polynomial increases, we can prove the formula.

5. Can the Taylor Approximation formula be used for any function?

The Taylor Approximation formula can be used for any function that is infinitely differentiable at a given point. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the complexity of the function and the number of terms used in the polynomial.