Calculus of a Single Variable 9th Edition - Perfect for First-Time Learners

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: Larson, Stewart, Thomas, and the other big fat freshman calc books that have gone through several (6+) editions are all good, which is why they are so widely used. And they all cover the same material at about the same level, so it's just a matter of personal preference which one you use. The purists here sniff at the popular texts, but that's because they are serious, gifted mathematicians who admire elegance, and can't really relate to an average student with average ability. But freshman calculus was set in concrete 50 years ago, so you are wasting your money if you buy a new book for $200. Get an old used edition for ten bucks, and it will
MathJakob
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0547209983/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Calculus of a Single Variable 9th Edition (Hardback) - Ron Larson

I have to stress that I have absolutely no experience with calculus at all and it really will be my first ever look. My knowledge so far is algbera and basic trigonometry. I noticed the book also has a pre-calc section to get you going.

I am not at college or school or anything like that, I just study at home in my spare time so would this be a good book for first exposure?

It's a tad pricey though :/

Physics news on Phys.org
I think any calc book that has 9 editions is by definition not good.

All semi-jokes aside, I think you can do much better than this. Books like these really don't do justice to the grand achievement that is calculus.

micromass said:
I think any calc book that has 9 editions is by definition not good.

All semi-jokes aside, I think you can do much better than this. Books like these really don't do justice to the grand achievement that is calculus.

Thanks for the advice, can you suggest something more suitable? Remember I have had no exposure to calculus before.

Two good books are "A first course in calculus" by Lang and "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Kline. These are very suitable for beginners.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I'll check them out

The second book you mentioned looks perfect. It doesn't start at the most basic stuff like Lang does, hell he even goes back to whole numbers...

The second book also isn't just wall after wall of text and it's nicely laid out with spacing between equations and text.

Thanks I will most definitely get this one. Just wondering also can you double check your answers with a casio calculator or will I need to use wolfram alpha?

Last edited:
Larson, Stewart, Thomas, and the other big fat freshman calc books that have gone through several (6+) editions are all good, which is why they are so widely used. And they all cover the same material at about the same level, so it's just a matter of personal preference which one you use. The purists here sniff at the popular texts, but that's because they are serious, gifted mathematicians who admire elegance, and can't really relate to an average student with average ability.

But freshman calculus was set in concrete 50 years ago, so you are wasting your money if you buy a new book for $200. Get an old used edition for ten bucks, and it will be just as good.

Related to Calculus of a Single Variable 9th Edition - Perfect for First-Time Learners

1. What is calculus of a single variable?

Calculus of a single variable is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It involves the analysis of functions and their rates of change, as well as the calculation of integrals and derivatives.

2. Who is this textbook suitable for?

This textbook is perfect for first-time learners who are new to calculus. It is also suitable for high school students and college students who are taking introductory calculus courses.

3. What is new in the 9th edition of this textbook?

The 9th edition of this textbook has been updated with new examples, exercises, and applications to make it more relevant and engaging for students. It also includes new material on optimization and differential equations.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge to understand this textbook?

No, this textbook does not assume any prior knowledge of calculus. It is designed to introduce the basic concepts and techniques of calculus to students who are new to the subject.

5. How can I best use this textbook to study calculus?

To get the most out of this textbook, it is recommended to read each chapter carefully and work through all of the examples and exercises provided. It is also helpful to review and practice regularly to reinforce your understanding of the material.