Calculus I Simplifying and Substitution

In summary, the conversation involved questions about evaluating expressions and simplifying them. The first question involved substituting values into the given expression and simplifying the result. The second question required rationalizing the numerator by multiplying it by the conjugate. Ultimately, the correct answers were determined to be -4 / (h+1) and [√ (1-3x) - 2 ]/(x+1) for the first and second questions, respectively.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a couple more questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_1.jpg

For the first one, I evaluated by replacing x for 2+h for f(x). Then I substituted into the givern expression and simplified to get (6h-5x)/(xh+h^2 -h)

For the second one, I replaced -1 for x in f(x) and got 2. Then I substituted into the given expression to get [√ (1-3x) - 2 ]/(x+1)

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.) Given:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x+3}{x-1}\)

then:

\(\displaystyle f(2+h)=\frac{(2+h)+3}{(2+h)-1}=\frac{h+5}{h+1}\)

and

\(\displaystyle f(2)=\frac{2+3}{2-1}=\frac{5}{1}=5\)

and so:

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h}=\frac{\dfrac{h+5}{h+1}-5}{h}\)

Now, your task is to simplify...

MarkFL said:
1.) Given:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x+3}{x-1}\)

then:

\(\displaystyle f(2+h)=\frac{(2+h)+3}{(2+h)-1}=\frac{h+5}{h+1}\)

and

\(\displaystyle f(2)=\frac{2+3}{2-1}=\frac{5}{1}=5\)

and so:

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h}=\frac{\dfrac{h+5}{h+1}-5}{h}\)

Now, your task is to simplify...

Alright, I simplified the expression and crossed out the extra h in the nominator and denominator and ultimately computed:

-4 / (h+1)

Is that right? How about the second one?

Thanks again.

ardentmed said:
Alright, I simplified the expression and crossed out the extra h in the nominator and denominator and ultimately computed:

-4 / (h+1)

Is that right? How about the second one?

Thanks again.

Yes, that's correct.

For the second one, you need to rationalize the numerator, which means multiplying by the conjugate...can you state the conjugate?

Related to Calculus I Simplifying and Substitution

1. What is the purpose of simplifying in Calculus I?

Simplifying in Calculus I is important because it allows us to manipulate complex expressions and make them easier to work with. This can help us find solutions and make calculations more efficient.

2. How do you simplify an expression in Calculus I?

To simplify an expression in Calculus I, you can use algebraic rules such as combining like terms, distributing, and using the order of operations. You can also use properties of exponents and logarithms to simplify expressions involving these functions.

3. What is the purpose of substitution in Calculus I?

Substitution in Calculus I allows us to replace variables in an expression with specific values or other expressions. This can help us solve equations and evaluate integrals.

4. How do you use substitution in Calculus I?

To use substitution in Calculus I, you first need to identify the variable or expression that you want to substitute. Then, choose an appropriate substitution that will simplify the expression and make it easier to work with. Finally, plug in the substituted value or expression and continue solving the problem.

5. Can simplifying and substitution be used interchangeably in Calculus I?

No, simplifying and substitution are separate techniques in Calculus I and cannot be used interchangeably. Simplifying involves manipulating expressions to make them easier to work with, while substitution involves replacing variables with specific values or expressions to solve equations or evaluate integrals. However, both techniques are important and often used together in problem-solving.