Calculus I problem I can't solve

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find f'(x) when given the equation d/dx(f(3x^5))= 8x^2. After applying the chain rule, the expression is simplified to f'(3x^5)= 8/(15x^2). However, it is not clear how to proceed from here. The speaker tries to use substitution and ultimately concludes that f'(x)= 8/15x^2 is not the correct answer.
ben23
Here's the problem:

[tex]d/dx(f(3x^5)) = 8x^2 [/tex]

Find [tex]f'(x)[/tex]

After applying the chain rule:

[tex]f'(3x^5)(15x^4) = 8x^2[/tex]

[tex]f'(3x^5) = 8/(15x^2) [/tex]

It's not apparent to me how I proceed from here to find [tex]f'(x)[/tex]. I tried dividing the expression on the right by three and taking the fifth root but that does not seem to be right. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you want to know f(x) without all that "stuff" inside the parentheses, let u= 3x5. Then f(3x5)= f(u) and df/dx= (df/du)(du/dx)= (df/du)(15x)= 8x2. Now you have df/du= (8/15)x. Since u= 3x5, x5= u/3 and x= (u/3)1/5. df/du= (8/15)(u1/5)/31/5. Now just replace u by x to get f'(x)

Since you want to know f(x) without all that "stuff" inside the parentheses, let u= 3x5. Then f(3x5)= f(u) and df/dx= (df/du)(du/dx)= (df/du)(15x)= 8x2. Now you have df/du= (8/15)x. Since u= 3x5, x5= u/3 and x= (u/3)1/5. df/du= (8/15)(u1/5)/31/5. Now just replace u by x to get f'(x)

I see what you're saying, but isn't du/dx equal to [tex]15x^4[/tex], not [tex]15x[/tex]? That would make df/du equal to [tex](8/15x^2)[/tex]. Therefore, substituting x= (u/3)1/5 gives a result of (8/15)(3^(2/5)/u^(2/5)).

Substituting u by x to get f'(x) would get a final solution of [tex]8/15x^2[/tex], which is what I started with above for [tex]f'(3x^5)[/tex], which I don't think is the correct answer.

Related to Calculus I problem I can't solve

Question 1: What is the first step to solving a Calculus I problem I can't solve?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify what is given and what is being asked for, and make note of any important information or restrictions.

Question 2: How do I approach a Calculus I problem I can't solve?

There are several approaches that can be used, depending on the specific problem. Some common methods include using algebraic manipulation, drawing a diagram or graph, applying a formula or theorem, or breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

Question 3: What should I do if I get stuck on a Calculus I problem?

If you get stuck, take a step back and try to approach the problem from a different angle. You can also try working on a similar, simpler problem to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved. Don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

Question 4: How do I know if my solution to a Calculus I problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use a graphing calculator or online tool to graph the problem and see if your solution matches the graph.

Question 5: What resources are available to help me with Calculus I problems I can't solve?

There are many resources available, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems and exercises, and tutoring services. Your teacher or professor can also provide guidance and assistance. It is important to practice and seek help when needed to improve your problem-solving skills.