Calculus gradient at a specific time

In summary, the path of a particle is given by r(t) = tsin(t) * i - tcos(t) * j where t≥0, and the particle leaves the origin at t = 0 and spirals outwards. To find tan(θ) when t = 3pi/2, we need to calculate (dy/dt)/(dx/dt) and let cos(t) = 0. The resulting value is t, and when t = 3pi/2, tan(θ) = 3pi/2.
e to the i pi
The path of a particle is given by r(t) = tsin(t) * i - tcos(t) * j where t≥0. The particle leaves the origin at t = 0 and then spirals outwards.

Let θ be the acute angle at which the path of the particle crosses the x-axis.
Find tan(θ) when t = 3pi/2.

I was able to figure out a few things:
At t = 3pi/2, the particle crosses the x-axis for a second time (first being at t = pi/2).
At t = 3pi/2, the speed of the particle is (1/2)sqrt(9*pi^2 + 4).
Tan(θ) = gradient = dy/dx
Other than that, I don't know where to start or what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you talking about the second time the particle crosses the x-axis? The problem you give says nothing about "second time". Also I see no mention of "speed" so I don't see why you are calculating that.

dy/dx= (dy/dt)/(dx/dt). Can you calculate that? Remember that when the particle crosses the x-axis, cos(t)= 0.

I calculated that:
v(t) = (sin(t) + tcos(t))*i + (tsin(t) - cos(t))*j
But now I am completely lost. This is the graph of velocity vs time, not position vs time. If I substituted in t = 3pi/2, I get:
v(3pi/2) = -1*i + (-3pi/2)*j
Which doesn't make any sense to me because that is a velocity, not an angle.

I told you exactly what to do in my first post. Read it.

So if I let x = i and y = j, then:
dx/dt
= i component of r'(t)
= sin(t) + tcos(t)
dy/dt
= j component of r'(t)
= tsin(t) - cos(t)
(dy/dt)/(dx/dt)
= (tsin(t) - cos(t)) / (sin(t) + tcos(t))
Let cos(t) = 0
= tsin(t) / sin(t)
= t
since t = 3pi/2
tan(θ) = 3pi/2

Is that the answer?

Related to Calculus gradient at a specific time

1. What is the definition of a calculus gradient at a specific time?

A calculus gradient at a specific time is a measure of the rate of change of a function at a particular point on its graph. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the graph at that point, and can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the direction and steepness of the curve at that point.

2. How is the calculus gradient at a specific time calculated?

The calculus gradient at a specific time is calculated by taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest, and then plugging in the specific time value. This will give the slope of the tangent line at that point, which is the gradient.

3. What does a positive calculus gradient at a specific time indicate?

A positive calculus gradient at a specific time indicates that the function is increasing at that point. This means that as the independent variable increases, the dependent variable also increases, and the curve slopes upwards.

4. How is the calculus gradient at a specific time used in real-life applications?

The calculus gradient at a specific time is used in many real-life applications, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to calculate rates of change, optimize systems, and understand the behavior of complex systems.

5. Can the calculus gradient at a specific time be negative?

Yes, the calculus gradient at a specific time can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, and the curve slopes downwards. It can also indicate a maximum or minimum point on the curve, depending on the shape of the function.