Calculus 3 problem: lines and planes in space

In summary, if c=-2 then w lies in the plane of u and v, if c=-1 then w lies in the plane of u and the negative of v, and if c=1 then w lies in the plane of u and the positive of v.
dfcitykid
Let u=<5,-2,3> and v=<-2,1,4>. Find the value of c which will force the vector w=<2c,3,c-1> to lie in the plane of u and v. I did the cross product of u and v, then i crossed u and w, then I equal the product of u and v with what I got for w. But for some reason when I try doing the triple scalar of u,v, and w; it does not give me zero which would prove that w is in the plane of u and v.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be much easier for us to help you if you post the calculation that got the wrong result. Here's a dot product symbol and a cross product symbol that you can copy and paste: · ×

dfcitykid said:
Let u=<5,-2,3> and v=<-2,1,4>. Find the value of c which will force the vector w=<2c,3,c-1> to lie in the plane of u and v. I did the cross product of u and v, then i crossed u and w, then I equal the product of u and v with what I got for w. But for some reason when I try doing the triple scalar of u,v, and w; it does not give me zero which would prove that w is in the plane of u and v.
I think you may be doing the problem incorrectly. The scalar triple product formula is a • (b x c). So I do not believe you need to cross u and v and u and w and equate them. I'm not 100% certain though (I'm currently taking calc 3 myself) so perhaps someone can confirm or deny my suspicion.

You could just write the equation$$
\vec w = a\vec u + b\vec v$$out and set the components equal. 3 equations in 3 unknowns.

Alternatively, and probably easier, just dot ##\vec w## with ##\vec u \times \vec v##, which is normal to the plane, and and set it equal to zero. Then you can just solve for ##c##.

Last edited:

Related to Calculus 3 problem: lines and planes in space

What is the purpose of studying Calculus 3?

Calculus 3, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is the study of functions of two or more variables. It builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus 1 and 2 and extends them to higher dimensions. It is used to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

What are lines and planes in space?

In Calculus 3, lines and planes are geometric objects that exist in three-dimensional space. A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions, while a plane is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions. In this context, we are interested in finding equations for these objects and understanding their geometric properties.

How are lines and planes represented in Calculus 3?

Lines in space can be represented by parametric equations, which use parameters to describe the coordinates of points on the line. In contrast, planes are typically represented by Cartesian equations, which use the x, y, and z variables to describe points on the plane.

What is the relationship between lines and planes in space?

Lines and planes in space can intersect, be parallel, or be skew (not intersecting and not parallel). When a line and plane intersect, they typically do so at a single point. When a line and plane are parallel, they do not intersect and have the same slope. When a line and plane are skew, they do not intersect and have different slopes.

How are lines and planes used in real-world applications?

The study of lines and planes in space has various applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. For example, in engineering, lines and planes are used to model the trajectory of a projectile or the shape of a 3D object. In computer graphics, they are used to create 3D models and animations. In physics, they are used to describe the motion of objects in space.