Calculus 1 Integration Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a Calc I problem involving the integral of (x-1)(x+1)^11 using Calc I methods. The solution involves using substitution and results in the answer (1/13)(x+1)^13 - (1/6)(x+1)^12. However, there is some confusion about the answer and the derivative of the solution.
kikko

Homework Statement

Calc I problem, so need to solve by calc 1 methods.

∫ (x-1)(x+1)^11 dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫ (x-1)(x+1)^11 dx

U = x+1
dU = dx
x-1 = x+1-2 = U-2

=∫ (U-2)U^11 dU

=∫ U^12 dU - 2∫ U^11 dU

=(1/13)U^13 - (1/6)U^12

=(1/13)(x+1)^13 - (1/6)(X+1)^12

∫ (x-1)(x+1)^11 dx = (1/13)(x+1)^13 - (1/6)(X+1)^12
The course ended already, this was the final test problem (on the test that ended already). I didn't understand how to do this one. I can check my answer and see it's wrong. My teacher won't be in until fall semester starts, so I can't ask him until then. I was already at full time, so Calc I was basically a free class I retook because it could boost GPA without being time consuming.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int (x-1)(x+1)^{11} dx \\ = \int x(x+1)^{11}-(x+1)^{11} dx \\ = \int [(x+1)-1](x+1)^{11}-(x+1)^{11} dx \\ = \int (x+1)^{12}-2(x+1)^{11} dx \\ = \frac{(x+1)^{13}}{13}-\frac{(x+1)^{12}}{6} +C[/tex]

That seems to be the answer I got. Forgot all those constants on my answers >_<. When I take the derivative of that I get:

(x+1)^12 - 2(x+1)^11 =/= (x-1)(x+1)^11

I might be missing something here.

kikko said:
That seems to be the answer I got. Forgot all those constants on my answers >_<. When I take the derivative of that I get:

(x+1)^12 - 2(x+1)^11 =/= (x-1)(x+1)^11

I might be missing something here.

But it is, isn't it?

##(x+1)^{12} - 2(x+1)^{11}##
##(x+1)(x+1)^{11} - 2(x+1)^{11}##
##(x+1)^{11}(x+1-2)##
##(x-1)(x+1)^{11}##

Related to Calculus 1 Integration Problem

1. What is Integration in Calculus 1?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve by summing an infinite number of infinitely thin rectangles. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus in Integration?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. It allows us to find the exact value of a definite integral by evaluating its antiderivative at the upper and lower bounds of the integral.

3. How do you solve an Integration problem in Calculus 1?

To solve an integration problem, you first need to identify the given function and determine its antiderivative. Then, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to evaluate the integral. Finally, plug in the upper and lower bounds to find the exact value of the definite integral.

4. What are the common applications of Integration in Calculus 1?

Integration has many real-world applications, such as finding the area under a curve, calculating volumes and areas of irregular shapes, and solving problems involving rates of change. It is also essential in physics, where it is used to calculate work, energy, and momentum.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Integration problems in Calculus 1?

To improve your skills in solving Integration problems, it is essential to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of integration. Practice regularly with different types of problems and seek help from your professor or peers if you encounter difficulties. It is also helpful to review your mistakes and understand the steps to solve the problem correctly.