Calculus 1 Homework problem - Find limit without L'Hospital's Rule

So the limit is 3.In summary, the limit of (5+6x^2)/(sqrt(x^3)+2x^2+1) as x approaches infinity is 3, found by dividing by x^2 and using the limit properties of each term in the expression.
Chronogallant

Homework Statement

Lim ( 5+6x2)/(√(x3)) + 2x2 +1)
x->∞

Homework Equations

not allowed to use lhopitals rule

The Attempt at a Solution

first, i divided by x2, which yielded

(5/(x2) + 6 + √(x)) / (2 + 1/x2 )

then i assumed that thelim x--> infi of 5/x2 = 0, lim x--> infi 6 = 6, lim x---> infi sqrt(x) = infinity, lim x--- > infi 2 = 2, lim x---> infi 1/x2 = 0

so basically i ended up with the limit = to (6(∞))/(2) which I am not sure if its the right answer. pretty sure it isnt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chronogallant said:

Homework Statement

Lim 5+6x^2/(sqrt(x^3) + 2x^2 +1)
x->∞

Homework Equations

first, i divided by x^2, which yielded

(5/(x^2) + 6 + sqrt(x)) / (2 + 1/x^2 )

then i assumed that thelim x--> infi of 5/x^2 = 0, lim x--> infi 6 = 6, lim x---> infi sqrt(x) = infinity, lim x--- > infi 2 = 2, lim x---> infi 1/x^2 = 0

so basically i ended up with the limit = to (6(∞))/(2) which I am not sure if its the right answer. pretty sure it isnt

You wrote
[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} 5 + \frac{6x^2}{\sqrt{x^3}+ 2x^2+1}[/tex]
If you really mean this, OK, it can stand as written. However, if you mean
[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{5 + 6x^2}{\sqrt{x^3}+ 2x^2+1}[/tex]
then you absolutely MUST use parentheses, like this:
(5+6x^2)/(sqrt(x^3) + 2x^2 +1).

edited* whoops, thanks

Chronogallant said:

Homework Statement

Lim 5+6x^2/(sqrt(x^3) + 2x^2 +1)
x->∞
You need a pair of parentheses around the two terms in the numerator.
Chronogallant said:

Homework Equations

first, i divided by x^2, which yielded

(5/(x^2) + 6 + √(x)) / (2 + 1/x^2 )
This is a good approach, but you lost a term in the denominator. There should be three terms in the denominator, not two. BTW, √(x3) is the same as x√x.
Chronogallant said:
then i assumed that thelim x--> infi of 5/x^2 = 0, lim x--> infi 6 = 6, lim x---> infi sqrt(x) = infinity, lim x--- > infi 2 = 2, lim x---> infi 1/x^2 = 0

Correct, it's not the right answer. Your answer should not have ∞ in it unless the limit is actually infinity. Otherwise, we don't do arithmetic with infinity.

oh gosh... so the missing term would be sqrt(x)/x, which would have a limit of 0 as it approaches infinity, due to the bottom scaling at a squared rate compared to the top? leaving the final limit as x approaches infinity as 3

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct. Roughly, the "dominating term" (the term with the highest power) in the both numerator and denominator is the [itex]x^2[/itex] term and the ratio of their coefficients is 6/2= 3.

Related to Calculus 1 Homework problem - Find limit without L'Hospital's Rule

Question 1: What is the purpose of finding a limit without using L'Hospital's Rule?

The purpose of finding a limit without using L'Hospital's Rule is to practice and strengthen understanding of basic limit concepts, as well as to develop problem-solving skills in calculus.

Question 2: How do I find a limit without using L'Hospital's Rule?

To find a limit without using L'Hospital's Rule, you can use algebraic manipulation, factoring, and other limit rules such as the limit laws and the squeeze theorem.

Question 3: What are the common mistakes to avoid when finding a limit without using L'Hospital's Rule?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding a limit without using L'Hospital's Rule include incorrectly applying limit laws, forgetting to simplify or factor expressions, and using L'Hospital's Rule when it is not applicable.

Question 4: Are there any tips for solving difficult limits without using L'Hospital's Rule?

Yes, some tips for solving difficult limits without using L'Hospital's Rule include trying to simplify the expression by factoring, substituting values for variables, and using trigonometric identities.

Question 5: Can I always find a limit without using L'Hospital's Rule?

No, there are some limits that cannot be found without using L'Hospital's Rule. In these cases, using L'Hospital's Rule is necessary to accurately evaluate the limit.