Calculations of a half loop electromagnet

In summary, the energy of the magnetisation is equal to the gravitational energy, and the force in the airgap is calculated by: F = dE/ds.
Tweej

Homework Statement

This is a past exam question which I just for the life of me can't figure out.

2eq6ryo.png

http://tinypic.com/r/2eq6ryo/8

Homework Equations

My guess is that the energy of the magnetisation is equal to the gravitational energy

Relevant Equations:
Ems = Mass * g * δ

Where
Mass = ρ * ACross Section * π * r
(not 2πr as we are only using half the loop, also cross sectional r is negligible.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the energy of magnetisation is, and definitely don't know how to get to it via the current. Any relevant equations would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy-density in a magnetic field, Ed = ½*B*H [ J/m3 ].

If the (constant) B-field along the toroid is known, you calculate the H-field in the airgap from: B = μ0*H.

Total energy in the airgap is E = Ed*(volume of airgap).

The force in the airgap is calculated by: F = dE/ds. ( s = "small delta", (lower case delta?) )

Last edited:
Likes Tweej
So

Ems = ρ * A * π * D/2 * g * δ = VAirGap * Ed = 1/2 * δ * A * 2 (as there are two air columns) * Ed

D/2 * g * ρ * π = 1/2 B * H
D = (B * H) / (g * ρ * π)

Then at this point I have one more question

Do we have H = M, B = mu_0 H

Or the Biot Savart law for B from i

Thank you for the help

You cannot use Biot-Savart as you don't know how the turns of the coil are placed. Use instead Amperes law:

The circulationintegral: ∫ Hds = N * I = 2π*RmeanH , Rmean = ½(R+r).

I don't quite understand the text below the figure in #1, but I think that Hiron = 1.7 A/m is meant. So you don't have to calculate the above at all.

Now assume that μr = 1000 as for iron. Then

B
= μ0 * μr * H

in the whole toroid (airgaps included). In the airgap you can find: H = B / μ0, so now B and H are known in the airgap. ( Hair = μr * Hiron ).

(The flux in magnetizm is as current in an electric circuit: nothing will disappear, and nothing will be added: Kirchhoffs current law).

Last edited:
Likes Tweej
That makes sense!

Thank you very much for the help Hesch!

Related to Calculations of a half loop electromagnet

What is a half loop electromagnet?

A half loop electromagnet is a type of electromagnet that consists of a semicircular loop of wire with an electric current running through it, creating a magnetic field. It is often used in scientific experiments and industrial applications.

How is the strength of a half loop electromagnet calculated?

The strength of a half loop electromagnet is calculated using the formula B = μ_0I/πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ_0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the radius of the loop.

What factors affect the strength of a half loop electromagnet?

The strength of a half loop electromagnet is affected by the amount of current flowing through the wire, the number of turns in the wire, the material of the wire, and the size and shape of the loop.

How can I increase the strength of a half loop electromagnet?

To increase the strength of a half loop electromagnet, you can increase the current flowing through the wire, increase the number of turns in the wire, or use a material with a higher magnetic permeability. You can also adjust the size and shape of the loop for optimal performance.

What are some real-world applications of half loop electromagnets?

Half loop electromagnets have a variety of applications, including in particle accelerators, magnetic levitation trains, and medical devices such as MRI machines. They are also used in industrial settings for lifting and moving heavy objects.