Calculation to determine PCB thickness

In summary, the conversation discussed concerns about the strength of PCB boards and ways to increase their thickness to withstand stress and strain. The experts recommended looking into alternative methods, such as submerging the PCB in epoxy resin or addressing the vibration in the system, rather than relying on the PCB for structural support. They also provided resources for calculating the resonant frequency of a plate.
Seth.T
Hi,

In my design there are PCB boards. But i am worried the thickness of PCB will not be strong enough to withstand cracking and warp-age when under stress and strain.

Is there any formula i can use to calculate vibration on the PCB so i can increase thickness via mechanical ribs?

Please advise.:smile:
Seth

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Seth. Printed Circuit Boards (I suppose) are not structural members of usual build-ups, they are not usually designed to hold more than their own weight and as they vary a lot I doubt you will find a formula that works for your given details. More please.

For making weak flimsy PCBs stronger you can submerge it in epoxy resin (preferably a PCB certified one). Epoxy is a nice material with great mechanical properties a nice insulator and if chosen right a great thermal sink.

Likes 1 person
As Lok said you probably shouldn't rely on the PCBs for structure. If there is vibration in the system, you might consider addressing the vibration rather than trying to strengthen the PCB. You could look at isolating the PCB through dampers or other methods.

Vibration of a part isn't necessarily bad, unless its at a resonant harmonic. Then things can break. Try looking into resonant frequency of a plate to get you started. Here's a brief intro for you: http://www.phy.davidson.edu/stuhome/derekk/resonance/pages/plates.htm

Likes 1 person
Good suggestions from you both, Lok and wingman,
I will look them up.

Thanks

Related to Calculation to determine PCB thickness

1. How is the thickness of a PCB calculated?

The thickness of a PCB is calculated by adding the thickness of each individual layer of the board, including the copper layers, substrate material, and any additional layers such as solder mask and silkscreen. The thickness of each layer is typically measured in mils (thousandths of an inch) or micrometers (millionths of a meter).

2. What factors affect the thickness of a PCB?

The thickness of a PCB can be affected by various factors such as the number of copper layers, the type of substrate material used, the thickness of each individual layer, and any additional layers or components added to the board. The overall application and requirements of the PCB also play a role in determining the appropriate thickness.

3. Are there standard PCB thicknesses?

Yes, there are standard PCB thicknesses that are commonly used in the industry. These include 1.6mm, 1.2mm, 1.0mm, and 0.8mm. However, the thickness can also be customized to meet specific requirements for a particular application.

4. How does the thickness of a PCB affect its functionality?

The thickness of a PCB can affect its functionality in several ways. A thinner PCB may have better flexibility and be more suitable for applications where space is limited. On the other hand, a thicker PCB may have better durability and be able to withstand higher voltage and current levels. The thickness of the PCB also affects its weight and cost.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my PCB thickness calculation?

To ensure the accuracy of your PCB thickness calculation, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the materials and components used in the board, as well as their individual thicknesses. Double-checking your calculations and consulting with experts in the field can also help ensure the accuracy of your PCB thickness determination.