Calculation of volume after phase change

In summary, the speaker is looking for help in calculating the volume of a gas at a specific temperature compared to its liquid volume measured below its boiling point. John suggests using the ideal gas law and the volume of the liquid and its density to find the volume.
spiri
Folks,

It's been a while since I've done calculations like this so I was wondering if someone can help me calculate the volume of a gas at a specific temperature as compared to its liquid volume when measured below its boiling point. I can't seem to find a phase diagram for this material, is there a way to calculate it?

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assume that the gas is ideal, and use the ideal gas law ##PV = N k_\mathrm{B} T## (or ##PV = n R T##) to find the volume. To know ##N## (##n##), you can use the volume of the liquid and its density.

Related to Calculation of volume after phase change

What is the definition of phase change?

Phase change is the process of transitioning from one state of matter to another, such as from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas.

How does phase change affect the volume of a substance?

During phase change, the volume of a substance can either increase or decrease, depending on the specific phase change and the properties of the substance. For example, when water freezes and transitions from liquid to solid, its volume decreases. However, when water evaporates and transitions from liquid to gas, its volume increases.

What is the formula for calculating the volume after a phase change?

The formula for calculating the volume after a phase change is V = m/V, where V is the volume, m is the mass of the substance, and V is the specific volume of the substance in the new phase.

Can the volume after a phase change be negative?

No, the volume after a phase change cannot be negative. The volume of a substance is always a positive quantity, and any changes in volume due to phase changes will result in a positive value.

What factors can affect the volume after a phase change?

The volume after a phase change can be affected by various factors, such as the temperature, pressure, and composition of the substance. These factors can influence the specific volume of the substance in the new phase and thus impact the overall volume after the phase change.