Calculation of double dual of Riemann tensor

In summary, the author encountered a problem with tensor calculation when studying general relativity, and thinks it would be a good idea to post about it here.
shichao116
Hi all, I encounter a technical problem about tensor calculation when studying general relativity. I think it should be proper to post it here.

Riemann curvature tensor has Bianchi identity: [itex]R^\alpha[/itex][itex]_{[\beta\gamma\delta;\epsilon]}=0[/itex]

Now given double (Hodge)dual of Riemann tensor: G = *R*, in component form:
[itex]G^{\alpha\beta}[/itex][itex]_{\gamma\delta}=1/2\epsilon^{\alpha\beta\mu\nu}R_{\mu\nu}[/itex][itex]^{\rho\sigma}1/2\epsilon_{\rho\sigma\gamma\delta}[/itex]

Show that the Bianchi identity can be simply written in terms of divergence of G as
[itex]\nabla\cdot G=0[/itex].

In component form:
[itex]G_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex][itex]^{\delta}[/itex][itex]_{;\delta}=0[/itex]

PS: [tex]\nabla[/tex] and ";" represent covariant derivative in abstract and component form respectively.

I've never done such calculation and is overwhelmed by so much super- and subscripts. Can anyone show me step by step how to get the final answer from the beginning? Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heh, this would be really quite easy with some geometric algebra (or at least an exterior derivative). Still, have you tried simply going with the brute force approach and applying the product rule to the expression for G?

Muphrid said:
Heh, this would be really quite easy with some geometric algebra (or at least an exterior derivative). Still, have you tried simply going with the brute force approach and applying the product rule to the expression for G?
Hi Muphrid, I tried to use brute force, but I don't know how to deal with the two Levi-Civita symbol, because as you might see, the divergence actually sum with one of the Levi-Civita's subscript on the RHS.

Would mind show me how to do it if it's not too lengthy? Thanks very much.

shichao116 said:
Now given double (Hodge)dual of Riemann tensor: G = *R

The Einstein tensor G is the *contracted* double dual of the Riemann tensor. So you need to contract two of the indices after taking the double dual, so G has only two indices, not four. Then you take the covariant divergence on the second index.

PeterDonis said:
The Einstein tensor G is the *contracted* double dual of the Riemann tensor. So you need to contract two of the indices after taking the double dual, so G has only two indices, not four. Then you take the covariant divergence on the second index.
Hi Peter, this is not Einstein tensor. You obtain Einstein tensor by contracting two indices of "this" G. This is exercise 13.11 of book "Gravitation".

shichao116 said:
Hi Peter, this is not Einstein tensor. You obtain Einstein tensor by contracting two indices of "this" G. This is exercise 13.11 of book "Gravitation".

Ah, I see. I'll check my copy of the book when I get a chance. MTW does have a lot of exercises involving "index gymnastics".

You'll probably need identities like

$$\epsilon_{abmn}\epsilon^{pqcd}
=(-1)^\sigma\delta_{abmn}^{pqcd}
=(-1)^\sigma (4!)\delta_{[a\vphantom{b}}^{p}
\delta_{b\vphantom{]}}^q
\delta_{m\vphantom{]}}^{c\vphantom{p}}
\delta_{n]}^{d\vphantom{p}},$$
where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the number of negative signs in the metric tensor,
and
$$\delta_{abmn}^{pqcd}
=\delta_{ab}^{pq}\delta_{mn\vphantom{b}}^{cd}
+\delta_{mn\vphantom{b}}^{pq}\delta_{ab}^{cd}
+(2!)^2\delta_{[m[a}^{pq}\delta_{b]n]}^{cd\vphantom{p}},
$$
where [itex]\delta_{ab}^{pq}=(2!)\delta_{[a}^p\delta_{b]}^q
=(2!)\delta_{a\vphantom{b}}^{[p}\delta_{b}^{q]}[/itex].

Isn't the action of the Levi-Civita's here

Gαβγδ = 1/2ϵαβμνRμνρσ1/2ϵρσγδ

anti-symmetrizing two pairs of indices so that

Gαβγδ = (1/4)R[αβ][γδ]

which seems to go part of the way.

Last edited:

Related to Calculation of double dual of Riemann tensor

1. What is the concept of the double dual of the Riemann tensor?

The double dual of the Riemann tensor is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry. It is a way of representing the curvature of a manifold, which is a geometric object that allows for the measurement of distances and angles. The double dual is a tensor that is derived from the Riemann tensor and provides a more intuitive understanding of curvature.

2. How is the double dual of the Riemann tensor calculated?

The calculation of the double dual of the Riemann tensor involves a series of mathematical operations, including taking the dual of the Riemann tensor and then taking the dual of that result again. This process involves using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical tool used to measure distances and angles on a manifold. The final result is a tensor that describes the curvature of the manifold in a more intuitive way.

3. What is the significance of the double dual of the Riemann tensor?

The double dual of the Riemann tensor is significant because it allows for a better understanding of the curvature of a manifold. It also has important applications in physics, particularly in Einstein's theory of general relativity. The double dual is used to describe the curvature of spacetime, which is essential in understanding the behavior of gravity.

4. Can the double dual of the Riemann tensor be visualized?

While the double dual of the Riemann tensor is a mathematical concept and cannot be physically visualized, it can be represented geometrically. This representation is known as the double dual curvature, which is a visual representation of the curvature of a manifold. It is a useful tool in understanding the behavior of the Riemann tensor and its double dual.

5. How does the double dual of the Riemann tensor relate to other mathematical concepts?

The double dual of the Riemann tensor is related to several other mathematical concepts, including the Riemann tensor itself, the metric tensor, and the curvature tensor. It is also closely related to concepts in vector calculus, such as the curl and divergence. Understanding the connections between these concepts is crucial in fully grasping the significance of the double dual of the Riemann tensor.