Calculation of Counterbalance Mass

In summary, the conversation involved a calculation for determining the mass of an object in a system with a long arm and a constrained second link. After reaching a final answer, the individual had some doubts and requested confirmation from others. A solution was provided that took into account the mechanics and the balance condition. The conversation ended with gratitude for the help provided.
bsheikho
Hi,

I've been grappling with a calculation that appears to give me a good result, however my gut feeling says other wise. Could someone please check the layout and possibly confirm my final answer. Attached is the layout of the system.

The system: -There is a long arm, d1+d2 is one link. then end of d2 to m2 is the second link.
-m2 is constrained in all directions except vertical up/down movement. (by putting the mass on a linear shaft with linear bearings)
The goal is to calculate m2, everything else is given, and Theta is a variable.

my final answer i reach to is: m2= (m1)*(d1/d2)*(1/2)

The point is that it seems that the mass of object two is independent of the angle. and can be fixed, however I have a feeling that tells me that its not that simple.

I can also upload how I got the final answer, but I'd prefer to see how others would tackle the situation.

Any help is appreciated.
Many Thanks!.

Attachments

• cB.PDF
    39.2 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer.
The mechanics require both instances of ##\theta## to be the same, increasing the angle lowers m2 by ##2d_2 \cos(\theta) d\theta## and raises m1 by ##d_1 \cos(\theta) d\theta##. That leads to balance with the condition you posted.

Likes bsheikho
mfb said:
I agree with your answer.
The mechanics require both instances of ##\theta## to be the same, increasing the angle lowers m2 by ##2d_2 \cos(\theta) d\theta## and raises m1 by ##d_1 \cos(\theta) d\theta##. That leads to balance with the condition you posted.

Excellent! Thank you.

Related to Calculation of Counterbalance Mass

1. What is counterbalance mass and why is it important in calculations?

Counterbalance mass refers to the weight or force that is used to offset or balance another weight or force. In calculations, it is important because it helps to ensure stability and prevent unwanted movement or tipping.

2. How is counterbalance mass calculated?

Counterbalance mass can be calculated by using the formula: M = (F x D) / G, where M is the counterbalance mass, F is the force to be balanced, D is the distance between the force and the pivot point, and G is the gravitational constant. This formula takes into account the lever principle and the effects of gravity.

3. What factors influence the calculation of counterbalance mass?

The factors that influence the calculation of counterbalance mass include the weight of the object being balanced, the distance between the object and the pivot point, the angle at which the object is attached, and the gravitational constant.

4. Can counterbalance mass be used in all types of machines and structures?

Yes, counterbalance mass can be used in a variety of machines and structures, such as cranes, elevators, and bridges. It is commonly used in situations where there is a need for stability and balance.

5. How does the location of the counterbalance mass affect the calculation?

The location of the counterbalance mass is an important factor in the calculation, as it affects the distance from the pivot point and the amount of force needed to balance the weight. Placing the counterbalance mass too far from the pivot point may require a larger mass to achieve balance, while placing it closer can reduce the required mass.