Calculation of Angular Frequency

In summary, you need to convert angular velocity to radians/second in order to calculate angular frequency.
yadunandan
Hi everyone,

I need to calculate the Angular frequency based on the input angular speed.
I'm thinking the formula would be

Angular Speed, ω = 2∏f
=> Angular Frequency, f = ω/2∏ = ω/360°

so, does the formula "f = ω/360°" will give me correct solution.

Kindly guide me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
No...do not use degrees...you need to leave 2.pi in radians...in other words, you just performed some kind of bad conversion...is 2.pi = 360? is it? No, it is not. 2x3.14=6.28!

But, my input angular speed is in Deg/sec...
so, you say, i convert that deg/sec to radian/sec and then use the formual f = ω/2∏ ??

oh...that's weird.

Then, yes, convert deg/s to rad/s, first and then...

I'm little confused :(

Is in't the same thing ?

Lets say,

1. Angular Velocity = 10deg/sec
2. Convert it to radians/sec --> 10*(∏/180)
3. Now, calculate the angular frequency, f = ((10*∏)/180)/2∏
4. If we see in the above equation, ∏ in the neumarator and ∏ in the denominator will be cancelled. So, I left with the equation, f = 10/2*180 = 10/360.

So, angular freq, f = ω/360 (Hertz) ..
where ω - Angular velocity in deg/sec

Am I thinking correctly?

You are kind of correct..you just need to be more careful and keep things absolutely clear.

In your first posting, you never specified in which units ω was...typically, it is understood that it is in rad/s...what's more, you even included your starting equation as ω=2∏f...in this equation, ω is necessarily in rad/s! Then, suddenly, you replaced 2∏ with 360...what was I to think of this?

You see what I am coming from?

More often than not, it is best to keep things in radians or radians per second...you'll see.

yadunandan said:
Am I thinking correctly?
Close enough.

Generally, ω is called the angular frequency and is measured in radians/second. f is just the frequency.

So, in standard units ω = 2πf. (Since one cycle = 2π radians.) But if you wanted the angular frequency in degrees/second instead, then ω = 360f. (Since one cycle = 360 degrees.)

I'm curious as to what context would give you an angular frequency in degrees/sec? I'd be very careful, since standard formulas for simple harmonic motion assume that ω is in radians/sec.

gsal said:
More often than not, it is best to keep things in radians or radians per second...you'll see.

This is particularly true when you start using Trig functions in Calculus. If you try to work in degrees, life becomes a nightmare.

It is worth while remembering that the three fingered Grigs of the planet Tryd will be dealing in exactly the same Radians that we deal in on Earth. However, their 'degrees' could be any fraction of a complete turn, depending on their particular culture - 1/360th, 1/350th, 1/297th or whatever.

Related to Calculation of Angular Frequency

1. What is angular frequency?

Angular frequency, denoted by the symbol ω (omega), is a measure of how quickly an object or system rotates or oscillates. It is also known as angular velocity or angular speed.

2. How is angular frequency calculated?

Angular frequency is calculated by dividing the angular displacement (θ) by the time taken (t) for that displacement. The formula is ω = θ/t. The unit of measurement for angular frequency is radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the relationship between angular frequency and linear frequency?

Angular frequency and linear frequency are related by the formula ω = 2πf, where f is the linear frequency. This means that the angular frequency is equal to 2π times the linear frequency. The unit of measurement for linear frequency is hertz (Hz).

4. How does angular frequency affect the period of a rotating object?

The period (T) of a rotating object is the time taken for one complete rotation or oscillation. It is inversely proportional to the angular frequency, meaning that as the angular frequency increases, the period decreases. This relationship can be represented by the formula T = 2π/ω.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular frequency?

Angular frequency is used in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, astronomy, and electrical engineering. Some common applications include analyzing the rotation of planets and satellites, understanding the behavior of pendulums and oscillating systems, and designing and operating machinery with rotating parts.