Calculation of a surface integral

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the surface integral of a vector field on a unit sphere using a given parametrization and the positive direction of $T_u\times T_v$. The formula for $T$ is given and the surface orientation is explained. The correct formula for calculating the integral is derived and confirmed using Gauss's theorem.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to calculate the surface integral of $$F(x,y,z)=(0,0,z)$$ on the unit sphere with parametrization
$$x=\sin u \cos v, \ y=\sin u \sin v , \ z=\cos u \\ 0\leq u\leq \pi, \ 0\leq v\leq 2\pi$$
with positive direction the direction of $T_u\times T_v$. Could you give some hints how to calculate this? (Wondering)

I haven't really understood how we use the fact that the positive direction is the direction of $T_u\times T_v$...

Do we maybe calculate the following?

$$\int_{\Phi}F\cdot ds=\int_SF\cdot T_u\times T_v \ dvdu$$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I want to calculate the surface integral of $$F(x,y,z)=(0,0,z)$$ on the unit sphere with parametrization
$$x=\sin u \cos v, \ y=\sin u \sin v , \ z=\cos u \\ 0\leq u\leq \pi, \ 0\leq v\leq 2\pi$$
with positive direction the direction of $T_u\times T_v$. Could you give some hints how to calculate this? (Wondering)

I haven't really understood how we use the fact that the positive direction is the direction of $T_u\times T_v$...

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

The orientation of a surface is the direction that we give to the normal vector, meaning we have 2 choices.
When we pick $T_u\times T_v$ we get a normal vector that has a specific direction, which serves to identify the orientation. (Nerd)

Do we maybe calculate the following?

$$\int_{\Phi}F\cdot ds=\int_SF\cdot T_u\times T_v \ dvdu$$ ? (Wondering)

Yep! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
The orientation of a surface is the direction that we give to the normal vector, meaning we have 2 choices.
When we pick $T_u\times T_v$ we get a normal vector that has a specific direction, which serves to identify the orientation. (Nerd)

Ah... I see... (Thinking) Is the formula of $T$ the following? $$T(u,v)=(\sin u \cos v, \sin u \sin v , \cos u)$$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ah... I see... (Thinking) Is the formula of $T$ the following? $$T(u,v)=(\sin u \cos v, \sin u \sin v , \cos u)$$ ? (Wondering)

Yes. (Nod)

So, we have the following:

$$T_u=(\cos u \cos v, \cos u \sin v , -\sin u) \\ T_v=(-\sin u \sin v, \sin u \cos v , 0)$$

Therefore, $$T_u\times T_v=\left (\cos v \sin^2u, \sin^2u \sin v, \cos u \sin u\right )$$

So, $$\int_{\Phi}F\cdot ds=\int_SF\cdot T_u\times T_v \ dvdu=\int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \cos^2 u \sin u \ dvdu=2\pi \int_0^{\pi} \cos^2 u \sin u \ du=2\pi \left [-\frac{\cos^3u}{3}\right ]_0^{\pi}=\frac{4\pi}{3}$$

Is this correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, $$\int_{\Phi}F\cdot ds=\int_SF\cdot T_u\times T_v \ dvdu=\int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \cos^2 u \sin u \ dvdu=2\pi \int_0^{\pi} \cos^2 u \sin u \ du=2\pi \left [-\frac{\cos^3u}{3}\right ]_0^{\pi}=\frac{4\pi}{3}$$

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Let's see... (Thinking)
... according to Gauss's theorem we have:
$$\oint_{\Phi}F\cdot ds = \int_{V(\Phi)} \nabla \cdot F dV = \int_{V(\Phi)} dV = \frac 43\pi
$$
Yes! I think it is correct! (Happy)

I like Serena said:
Yes! I think it is correct! (Happy)

Great! Thanks a lot! (Happy)

Related to Calculation of a surface integral

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the area of a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a given surface to determine the total value of the function on that surface.

2. What is the purpose of calculating a surface integral?

The purpose of calculating a surface integral is to find the area of a three-dimensional surface, which can be useful in many applications such as physics, engineering, and geometry. It can also be used to calculate the flux of a vector field across a surface.

3. How is a surface integral calculated?

To calculate a surface integral, you first need to parameterize the surface, which means representing it as a function of two variables. Then, you integrate the function over the surface using double integrals, taking into account the direction of the normal vector of the surface.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the surface area of a three-dimensional object, determining the flux of a vector field across a surface, finding the mass and center of mass of a solid object, and calculating the work done by a force on a surface.

5. What are some common challenges when calculating surface integrals?

Some common challenges when calculating surface integrals include finding the correct parameterization of the surface, determining the direction of the normal vector, and setting up the double integral correctly. It can also be challenging to choose the appropriate coordinate system and limits of integration for the integral.