Calculating Work Required to Pull a Hanging String Onto a Table

In summary, the question is asking how much work is required to pull an overhanging piece of rope, with length L and mass m, back onto a frictionless table. The equation given is U = mgh, but this cannot be used since the mass and force vary as the rope is pulled. Instead, an integral must be used, taking into account the varying mass and force. The correct work done can be calculated as mgL/32, considering the mass of the overhanging part to be m/4 and the distance moved to be L/8.
forty
An infinitesimally thin rope is held on a frictionless table with one-fourth of its length hanging over the edge. If the rope has length L and total mass m (assuming uniform mass distribution), how much work is required to pull the hanging part back onto the table.

U = mgh

The length of the overhanging piece of string is (L/4) and the mass of this piece is (m/4) so do i just plug in the values, presuming I'm using the right equation... work = mLg/16 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really. Since the length of the rope hanging of the table varies when you pull it, the mass on the part hanging of the table varies, and therefore also the force. This means that you can't just take force times distance to get the total energy, since the force is not constant.

Last edited:
take an elementary length dl,then dm=(m/l)dl.now integrate it within proper limits.remeber work done=-w by mg.
good luck!

I'm really stuck at how to solve this "properly" using an integral. I can solve this by treating the piece of the string over the edge as a point mass..

mass of string = m/4
distance moved = L/8

.: workdone = mgh = (m/4) * g * (L/8) = mgL/32

If anyone could shed some light on the above mentioned method it would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Calculating Work Required to Pull a Hanging String Onto a Table

What is the formula for calculating work required to pull a hanging string onto a table?

The formula for calculating work is W = Fd, where W is the work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

How do I determine the force required to pull the string onto the table?

The force required can be calculated by dividing the weight of the string by the sine of the angle between the string and the table.

What unit of measurement is used for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J).

Can I use this formula for any hanging string?

Yes, this formula can be used for any hanging string as long as the force and distance are measured in the same unit and the angle between the string and table is known.

Is there a simpler way to calculate the work required?

If the string is being pulled at a constant velocity, the work can be calculated by multiplying the force by the displacement of the string.