Calculating Wheel Loads in Dynamic and Static Conditions for Vehicle Analysis

In summary: SAE books or go to a track and do some testing yourself to get a better understanding of how the car behaves under different loading conditions.In summary, Mikel wants to know what the axial and radial loads are on the axle in static and dynamic conditions, as well as how to calculate them. He also wants to know how to find out the loads under static and dynamic conditions for a particular application.
the4thworld
Hey

Just needed some help with analysis of vehicle loading in dynamic and static conditions.Basically what are the axial and radial loads acting on the axle/wheel in static and dynamic conditions? Accompanying formula would be helpful.

How would i go about finding out the loads under static and dynamic conditions, that would be in acceleration, braking, cornering etc.
Also vehicle moving on level ground and inclined plans(% grade is known)

If you guys have any ideas of books i could refer as well as online links it would be helpful

Cheers
Mikel

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is pie in the ski. There isn't a magic formula you just plug into that gives you these kinds of numbers. It will depend on many parameters. The size and weight of the car, the design of the suspension, the road surface, to name a few.

I would look for a book in vehicle dynamics from SAE and amazon.

All parameter are known, i just wanted to know how i would go about calculating the forces.

the4thworld said:
All parameter are known, i just wanted to know how i would go about calculating the forces.

Again, there is no magic equation that tells you this. You want to seriously answer your question you're going to need a PhD in vehicle dynamics. That's basically the magnitude of what you're asking. What I would do if I were you is look for papers from SAE that people have done and just use those values as a zero order approximation of what you would expect to see.

I think you are reading too much into what he wants. I'm pretty sure everything he wants to know can be found from a FBD with some weight transfer thrown in.

TO OP: Specify more clearly what you want. I'd suggest you read up on a basic mechanics textbook. something like meriam and kraige - statics.

Thanks anyway, i had got pretty much what i wanted, but i wanted a second opinion :P

i respectfull beg to differ..
emperical answers are available, as in all things...in the mean time..

Pls see ranger mike post Dec29-08, 12:31 PM post on race car physics in general physics forum

i wil endeavor to get the requested info ref; axle load, etc..but give me a day..its all in the race car trailer

Ok, here is how we determine the proper springs for each corner of the race car. you asked about loads on each wheel..well here is an example of our old door slammer running on a medium banked asphalt track.
Stock suspension wit solid rear axle.
We calculated that tit is under 1.3 Gs in the turn..see other post from Ranger Mike on calculating . Gs
car weighs 2800 lbs. of 35% of weight will transfer under 1.3 G
and 75% will be on front end due to engine weight and corner loading

2800 lbs. X .35% = 980 lbs. transferring or loading tires

75% of 980 lbs. = 720 front end weight
divided by three to determine wheel rate ( two front springs and sway bar )
so we need wheel rate of 240

Wheel rate = (Length of A-arm divided into inside frame mount point to center of spring mounting point) squared

times spring rate

now the hard part
get out the tape measure and measure bottom front A-arm length
1. inside frame mount point to center of outside ball joint
2. distance from inside frame mount point to center of spring mounting point

stock Chevy A-arm is
16.5 inch inside frame mount point to BJ and 9 inch from inside frame mount point to center of spring pocket
assume you have a 1000 lbs. spring
wheel rate = 9 / 16.5 = .54

.54 x .54 x 1000 = 290 lbs. spring required to handle weight transferred

I know this may not answer your question completely but there are a lot a of variables..

Related to Calculating Wheel Loads in Dynamic and Static Conditions for Vehicle Analysis

1. What is dynamic vehicle analysis?

Dynamic vehicle analysis is a method used by engineers and scientists to study the motion and behavior of vehicles under various conditions. It involves analyzing the forces and movements acting on a vehicle to predict its performance and determine potential problems or areas for improvement.

2. What types of vehicles can be analyzed using this method?

Dynamic vehicle analysis can be applied to a wide range of vehicles, including cars, trucks, trains, airplanes, and even spacecraft. Essentially, any type of vehicle that moves and experiences forces can be studied using this method.

3. What are the benefits of using dynamic vehicle analysis?

There are several benefits to using dynamic vehicle analysis. It allows engineers to identify potential issues and optimize vehicle designs for better performance and safety. It also helps in predicting and preventing accidents, reducing maintenance costs, and improving overall efficiency and functionality of vehicles.

4. What factors are considered in a dynamic vehicle analysis?

In a dynamic vehicle analysis, factors such as the vehicle's weight, speed, acceleration, braking, and turning capabilities are taken into account. Other factors like road conditions, weather, and external forces also play a role in the analysis.

5. How is dynamic vehicle analysis different from other vehicle analysis methods?

Dynamic vehicle analysis differs from other methods such as static analysis or steady-state analysis in that it considers the dynamic behavior of a vehicle, taking into account factors like acceleration, deceleration, and vibrations. This makes it a more comprehensive and accurate method for studying vehicle performance.