Calculating Weight Increase in Car Crash: 12 Stone Occupant at 30mph

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding an equation to determine the weight increase of a 12 stone occupant of a car traveling at 30mph and coming to a dead stop. The conversation also touches upon the application of seatbelts and the forces involved in a car crash. The provided links offer examples and equations to further understand the concept.
Simo43
1. Can you be of any help, I need a simple (if that is possible) equation to help
me determine the weight increase of a 12 stone occupant of a car doing 30mph
coming to a dead stop?

2. Don't have a clue

3. This is a very general question to put into a slide show presentation on Road Traffic Accidents, you may have to dumb down a bit but any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The traveling persons weight as such does not increase (talking non-relativistic speeds), rather his momentum.

Last edited:
Thank you for that but its not what I meant, I realize that there are many forces which act on a body on impact I was looking for something to work out the max weight that will as you say with the momentum of a 30mph dead stop will tear out a passenger seat from its floor mountings, say rated to 50st max.

Well, I have yet to see a car where the seatbelt is connected to the chair, usually (in European cars) I see them connected to the cage frame.
As I see it applied, there is usually a stopping distance. If you take the stopping distance to 0, then all the kinetic energy is applied to the person via the seatbelt (no work is done), and that is not the real case.
Check out the examples here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/seatb.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html#cc1

You can use the work equation:
[tex]W=\Delta E_{kin}=E_{kin2}-E_{kin1}=-E_{kin1}[/tex] since the car is stopped.

Now on the other hand
[tex]W=Fs \Rightarrow Fs=-E_{kin1} \Rightarrow F=\frac{-E_{kin1}}{s} \Rightarrow F=-\frac{mv^{2}}{2s}[/tex]

But that is all explained with examples in the links provided.

I can definitely provide some help in determining the weight increase of a 12 stone occupant in a car crash at 30mph. The equation that can be used is the kinetic energy formula, which is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. In this equation, KE stands for kinetic energy, m stands for mass, and v stands for velocity.

To calculate the weight increase, we need to first convert 12 stones to kilograms, which is approximately 76.2 kg. Then, we can plug in the values into the equation as follows:

KE = 1/2 * 76.2 kg * (30mph)^2

= 1/2 * 76.2 kg * (13.41 m/s)^2

= 1/2 * 76.2 kg * 180.2 m^2/s^2

= 6,886.86 Joules

This means that the kinetic energy of the 12 stone occupant at 30mph is 6,886.86 Joules. When the car comes to a dead stop, all of this kinetic energy is transferred to the occupant, resulting in a weight increase.

However, it is important to note that this equation only gives an estimate and does not take into account other factors such as the structure of the car, the type of crash, and the impact of airbags or other safety features. It is also important to remember that in real-life situations, the weight increase may vary due to factors such as the occupant's body composition and position in the car.

I hope this helps in your presentation on road traffic accidents. If you need more specific information, I would be happy to provide further assistance.

Related to Calculating Weight Increase in Car Crash: 12 Stone Occupant at 30mph

1. How is weight increase calculated in a car crash?

In order to calculate weight increase in a car crash, you must first determine the initial weight of the occupant. Then, using the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration, you can calculate the force exerted on the occupant during the crash. Finally, divide the force by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) to determine the weight increase.

2. What is the significance of a 12 stone occupant in this calculation?

The weight of the occupant is a crucial factor in determining the force exerted during a car crash. 12 stone is equivalent to 168 pounds or 76 kilograms, which is within the average weight range for adults. Using this weight in the calculation allows for more accurate results.

3. How does speed impact weight increase in a car crash?

The speed at which a car is traveling directly affects the force exerted during a crash. This is because the formula for force (F=ma) includes the variable of acceleration, which is affected by speed. As speed increases, so does the force exerted on the occupant, resulting in a higher weight increase.

4. Is a 30mph crash considered a high-speed impact?

30mph is considered a moderate speed for a car crash, as it is relatively common in urban areas. However, the force exerted on an occupant during a 30mph crash can still result in significant weight increase and potential injuries.

5. Are there other factors that can impact weight increase in a car crash?

Yes, there are several other factors that can impact weight increase in a car crash, including the weight and speed of the other vehicle involved, the angle of impact, the use of seatbelts and airbags, and the overall design and safety features of the vehicles involved.