Calculating Voltage Difference in a Circuit: Am I on the Right Track?

In summary, Homework Equations state that V=Ir and V_B is larger than V_C. If point A is after the 8 volt emf, V_C will always increase.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=485d4917e6369ebdd2aa0d59a4e2e720.png

Homework Equations

V=Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a ) already my question is about part b). Let's say I know that the 6 ohm resistor has current I3 going across is pointing to the left, and the 3 ohm resistor has current I1 also pointing to the left across it. I have to find it as if I am starting from point B and ending at point A (I think) . we are going against the current for the 6 ohm resistor so it would be + 6I3 from that and then we are following the direction of the current for the 3 ohm resistor so that would be - 3I1 across that. So the total voltage difference would be 6I3 - 3I1 . Am I doing this correctly?

Attachments

• practice circuit.png
    practice circuit.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's call the intermediate point C.

Is V_B larger or smaller than V_C? What is the sign of V_C-V_B then? Does that fit to your description? If yes, then the same works for B and A.

so it doesn't matter which way the current is facing? V_C is smaller than V_B so it would be -6I3-3I1 = -(6I3+3I1)

You need to adopt a procedure which you are confident you can work with and get it right. For the directions you indicated,
I would start by writing ##V_B + 6I_3 - 3I_1 = V_A##

then subtracting Vb from both sides you have Va-Vb = 6I3-3I1 ... so I was right originally? So you start at point be. You are going against the current for the 6 ohm resistor so there is a voltage increase across that. You are going with the current for the 3 ohm resistor so there is a voltage decrease across that. you start at voltage b. on your way to point A it increase and drops so voltage b after that increase and drop is equal to the voltage at point a. Am I correct in saying that if you go against the current the voltage will increase?

toothpaste666 said:
Am I correct in saying that if you go against the current the voltage will increase?
Yes

Likes toothpaste666
so I think I ended up with the right answer?

toothpaste666 said:
so I think I ended up with the right answer?
In algebraic terms, yes. But you shouldn't need to ask; you have already determined the currents so can substitute their values. Only the correct answer will make sense, wrong answers will show glaring inconsistencies. That is how you can check your own work.

now what if point A was after (to the left of) the 8 volt emf? the voltage will always increase across an emf right? it doesn't depend on the direction of current?

It does not depend on the direction of current then, but it does depend on the orientation of the voltage source.

do you mean the orientation of the negative and positive end? if you go from negative to positive it would be an increase in voltage?

thank you all for your help!

Related to Calculating Voltage Difference in a Circuit: Am I on the Right Track?

1. What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conducting material. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I.

2. How does an electric current flow in a circuit?

An electric current flows in a circuit when there is a closed loop or path for the charge to flow through. It is usually generated by a source, such as a battery or power supply, and flows through the circuit components, such as wires, resistors, and capacitors.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC currents?

AC (alternating current) is a type of electric current that periodically reverses direction, while DC (direct current) flows in one direction only. AC currents are commonly used in household electricity, while DC currents are used in electronic devices and batteries.

4. What factors affect the strength of an electric current?

The strength of an electric current can be affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit components, and the type of material the current is flowing through. The longer the circuit, the higher the resistance, and the lower the voltage, the weaker the current will be.

5. How can we measure electric currents?

Electric currents can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of current and displays it in amperes. It is important to note that ammeters have very low resistance to avoid altering the current being measured.