Calculating Vapor Pressure problem

In summary, using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, the vapor pressure of isooctane at 25°C can be calculated by isolating (P2/P1) and solving for it. The boiling point of a substance refers to the temperature at which its vapor pressure equals the surrounding pressure, or atmospheric pressure, which in this case would be 1 atm.
Zeitgeist

Homework Statement

A handbook lists the normal boiling point of isooctane, a gasoline component as 99.2°C and its enthalpy of vaporization as 35.76 kJ/mol. Calculate the vapor pressure of isooctane at 25°C.

Homework Equations

The only equation that makes sense to use for me is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation:
ln(P2/P1) = (Hvap)/R * (1/T1 - 1/T2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I don't have either P2 or P1, how can I solve this problem?
Should I just isolate (P2/P1), and solve?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "boiling point" mean in terms of vapor pressure?

I think I got it. The vapor pressure should equal to 1 atm since boiling point is the temperature where the vapor pressure equals the surrounding's pressure or the atmospheric pressure. Thanks a lot!

Related to Calculating Vapor Pressure problem

1. What is vapor pressure and why is it important?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by a vapor in equilibrium with its liquid or solid form at a given temperature. It is important because it helps determine the volatility of a substance, which can affect its boiling point, evaporation rate, and potential hazards.

2. How is vapor pressure calculated?

Vapor pressure is calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which takes into account the temperature, enthalpy of vaporization, and gas constant of the substance. This equation can be solved for the vapor pressure at a given temperature.

3. What factors can affect vapor pressure?

Temperature is the main factor that affects vapor pressure, as an increase in temperature leads to an increase in vapor pressure. Other factors include the nature of the substance, its intermolecular forces, and the presence of other substances in the same environment.

4. How does altitude affect vapor pressure?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases, which in turn decreases the boiling point of a substance and therefore its vapor pressure. This is because there is less pressure pushing down on the liquid, making it easier for molecules to escape and form a vapor.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is used in many industries, such as in the production of fuels, pharmaceuticals, and food products. It is also important in understanding the behavior of gases and predicting the weather. Additionally, knowing the vapor pressure of a substance can help determine safe storage and handling conditions.