Calculating Uncertainty in a Quantum Oscillator Mixed State

Your Name]In summary, the question asks to calculate the uncertainties in the position and momentum operators of a quantum oscillator in a mixed state described by a density operator. The approach is to calculate the expectation values of X1, X1^2, X2, and X2^2, taking into account the coherent states and using the formula for uncertainty.
ppyadof

Homework Statement

Consider a quantum oscillator in a mixed state described by the density operator [itex]\rho = \frac{1}{2}( |\alpha><\alpha| + |-\alpha><-\alpha| ) [/itex]. Calculate [itex] \Delta (\hat{X}^2)_1 [/itex] and [itex] \Delta (\hat{X}^2)_2 [/itex] in this case.

Where X1 and X2 are the dimensionless position and momentum operators:
[tex] \hat{X}_1 = \frac{1}{2}(a + a^{\dagger}) [/tex]
and
[tex] \hat{X}_2 = \frac{1}{2i}(a - a^{\dagger}) [/tex]

Also, the state [itex] |\alpha> [/itex] (and -alpha) are coherent states, and so are eigenfunctions of the creation/annihilation operators.

Homework Equations

Well, I know how to calculate the uncertainty in a measurement, given the expectation values of X1, X2, X1^2 and X2^2. I also know that [itex] < \hat{A} > = Tr[ \hat{\rho} \hat{A} ] [/itex].

Since the states in the density operator are coherent, we know that:
[tex] <\alpha|\beta> = e^{ -|\alpha^2|/2 - |\beta^2|/2 + \beta^{\ast}\alpha} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on what I know, to get the uncertainty in X1 and X2, I need 2 calculate the expectation values for X1, X1^2 and X2, X2^2, which means I need to expand everything out into the 'a' and 'a-dagger' relations... right? Taking X1 as an example:

[tex]<X_1> = \frac{1}{4} ( \sum{m} <m|\alpha><\alpha| a + a^{\dagger} |-\alpha><-\alpha|X_1|m> [/tex].

I was wondering if this is the way to do this question, because that's a lot of work to expand that out and yet this is the easier expression! I then have 2 expand out X1^2 in terms of a and a\dagger's, and work all that out, so before I really get down to doing pages of maths, I just want to check that this is the right way to do this question.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. You are on the right track in your approach to calculating the uncertainties in this case. However, there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, when calculating the expectation value of an operator, you need to sum over all possible eigenstates of that operator. In this case, X1 and X2 are operators related to the creation and annihilation operators, so you would need to sum over all possible states of those operators. This may seem like a lot of work, but there are some tricks you can use to simplify the calculations, such as using the identity <m|n> = \delta_{mn} for the coherent states.

Secondly, when calculating the expectation value of X1^2 and X2^2, you would need to use the expression <\alpha|\beta> = e^{-|\alpha|^2/2 - |\beta|^2/2 + \beta^{\ast}\alpha} to expand out the states in the density operator. This will make the calculations easier, as you will only need to consider the terms involving the coherent states.

Finally, once you have calculated the expectation values for X1, X1^2, X2, and X2^2, you can plug them into the formula for the uncertainty \Delta (\hat{X}^2) = \sqrt{<\hat{X}^2> - <\hat{X}>^2} to get the uncertainties in X1 and X2.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Calculating Uncertainty in a Quantum Oscillator Mixed State

1. What is a quantum oscillator mixed state?

A quantum oscillator mixed state refers to a quantum system that is in a superposition of multiple energy states, with each state having a different probability of being observed. This is in contrast to a pure state, where the system is in a single energy state with 100% probability.

2. How is uncertainty calculated in a quantum oscillator mixed state?

Uncertainty in a quantum oscillator mixed state is calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in a system's position and momentum cannot be less than a certain value. This means that as the uncertainty in one variable decreases, the uncertainty in the other variable must increase.

3. What factors affect the uncertainty in a quantum oscillator mixed state?

The uncertainty in a quantum oscillator mixed state is affected by the energy levels of the system, the temperature, and the level of disturbance or interaction with the environment. Higher energy levels and lower temperatures tend to decrease uncertainty, while increased disturbance or interaction can increase uncertainty.

4. How is uncertainty represented in a quantum oscillator mixed state?

Uncertainty in a quantum oscillator mixed state is commonly represented by the standard deviation of the system's energy. This is a measure of how spread out the energy values are from the average value. A larger standard deviation indicates a higher level of uncertainty.

5. Can the uncertainty in a quantum oscillator mixed state be completely eliminated?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, uncertainty in a quantum oscillator mixed state cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be minimized by carefully controlling the energy levels and environmental interactions of the system. This is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is not possible to overcome.