Calculating Total Resistance in a Circuit - Tips and Tricks

In summary, to find the total resistance of a circuit made up of kilo ohms, you can use a parallel and series combination of the values. In this specific circuit, the total resistance would be 11.25k Ohms. However, it is also possible to describe a circuit without a picture, by clearly stating the connections and values of each resistor. Alternatively, a picture can also be provided for easier understanding.
evanbarwise
I'm wondering how to work out total resitance of a curcuit. The curcuit is made up of Kilo ohms.

25k Ohms
15k Ohms
50k Ohms
40k Ohms
20k Ohms

+ 10 V

Physics news on Phys.org
evanbarwise said:
I'm wondering how to work out total resitance of a curcuit. The curcuit is made up of Kilo ohms.

25k Ohms
15k Ohms
50k Ohms
40k Ohms
20k Ohms

+ 10 V

I forgot to add that 50k Ohms is parallel to 40k and 20k Ohms.

it IS actually possible to give description of a circuit in such a way that we don't need
a picture, but you need to work a bit harder to make it unambiguous.
Something like:

The positive terminal of the battery is connected to termial 1 of R1
Terminal 2 of R1 is connected to terminal 1 of R2
Terminal 2 of R2 is conected to terminal 1 of R3 and terminal 1 of R4
etc.
R1 = 25kOhm, R2=15kOhm etc.

Or you can post or link to a picture

(or post or include a picture)

Related to Calculating Total Resistance in a Circuit - Tips and Tricks

1. What is total resistance?

Total resistance is the combined measure of all resistances in a circuit, which determines how much current can flow through the circuit.

2. How is total resistance calculated?

Total resistance can be calculated by adding up all the individual resistances in a series circuit, or by using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) in a parallel circuit.

3. What factors affect total resistance?

The factors that affect total resistance include the length and thickness of the wire, the material of the wire, and the temperature of the wire.

4. Why is total resistance important?

Total resistance is important because it determines the total amount of current that can flow through a circuit and affects the overall performance of the circuit.

5. How does total resistance impact the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

The total resistance in a circuit affects the flow of current, which in turn affects the brightness of a light bulb. A higher resistance will result in less current and a dimmer light, while a lower resistance will result in more current and a brighter light.