Calculating Total Energy for 1-d Electron Gas

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the total energy of a 1-d and 2-d electron gas with included interactions and external fields. The main focus is on finding the total energy at T=0K as a function of polarization and minimizing it to find the nontrivial solution for U. The formula for calculating N and N_{\sigma} is also mentioned. The main difficulty is in correctly calculating the total energy.
mblaskovic
HI!

Also:

I have 1-d electron gas in tight banding model with included interaction between electrons of same spins V[itex]_{\uparrow}[/itex]=-N[itex]_{\uparrow}[/itex]U where U > 0, [itex]\sigma[/itex]=[itex]\pm1[/itex] is spin up or down, and pauli interaction with outside field B is included. I have to calculate the total energy of gas at T=0K as function of of polarization x=[itex]\frac{N_{\uparrow}-N_{\downarrow}}{N}[/itex] expand it to series up to 6th order, minimize it and find the nontrivial solution for U [itex]N=N_{\uparrow}+N_{\downarrow}, N_{\uparrow}=\frac{N}{2}(1+x)[/itex]
and [itex]N_{\downarrow}=\frac{N}{2}(1-x)[/itex]

[itex]N_{\sigma}=\frac{N}{2}(1+{\sigma}x)[/itex]
my major problem is calculating the total energy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HI!

My problem is next:

I have 2-d electron gas with included interaction between electrons of opposite spins V[itex]_{\sigma}[/itex]=N[itex]_{\sigma}[/itex]U where U > 0 and [itex]\sigma[/itex]=[itex]\pm1[/itex] is spin up or down, and pauli interaction with outside field B is included. I have to calculate the total energy of gas at T=0K as function of N[itex]_{\sigma}[/itex], then i have to minimize the energy as function of polarization parameter x=[itex]\frac{N_{\uparrow}-N_{\downarrow}}{N}[/itex] and calculate the suscepitibility

[itex]N=N_{\uparrow}+N_{\downarrow}, N_{\uparrow}=\frac{N}{2}(1+x)[/itex], [itex]N_{\downarrow}=\frac{N}{2}(1-x), and N_{\sigma}=\frac{N}{2}(1+{\sigma}x) [/itex]

my major problem is calculating the total energy, the rest is not so tough i am just not sure that my energy is calculated correct...

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Total Energy for 1-d Electron Gas

1. How do you calculate the total energy for a 1-d electron gas?

The total energy for a 1-d electron gas can be calculated using the following formula: E = (π^2 * ħ^2)/(2mL^2) * N

Where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, L is the length of the system, and N is the number of electrons.

2. What is the significance of the 1-d electron gas model?

The 1-d electron gas model is a simplified model used to understand the behavior of electrons in a one-dimensional system. It can provide insights into the properties of materials such as metals and semiconductors.

3. How does the total energy change with the number of electrons in a 1-d electron gas?

The total energy is directly proportional to the number of electrons in a 1-d electron gas. As the number of electrons increases, the total energy also increases.

4. Can the total energy for a 1-d electron gas be negative?

Yes, the total energy for a 1-d electron gas can be negative. This indicates that the system has a lower energy state compared to the reference energy level.

5. Are there any limitations to using the 1-d electron gas model?

Yes, the 1-d electron gas model is a simplified model and does not fully capture the behavior of electrons in a three-dimensional system. It is mainly used for conceptual understanding and may not provide accurate predictions for complex materials.