Calculating torque from yield stress understanding

In summary, you are trying to design a torque arm that will withstand a certain amount of force before it hits a switch. You already know the material of the arm and the rod, so you need to find a torque value that will create that force. You plugged in the yield stress of the material of the arm into the equation and got a really small value. I think you may have done it wrong and need to convert the yield stress to Pa.
vitaljunk
Hello,
I'm new here and so if I've put this in the wrong section or anything, please let me know and I'll fix/change whatever needs to be done.

I just wanted to see if someone could help me understand something.

When choosing a torque value, is it just ~90% of the yield stress of the material of the torque rod? I have to design a torque arm that needs to withstand a certain volume before hitting a switch and need to decide where to put the force/hang the volume along the arm. I already know the force, and the material of the torque arm and rod, so need to chose a torque value so I can figure out the distance along the arm for the force. Sorry if I'm being a bit vague, I want to solve it myself, but am just having some trouble with understanding things. If you need more info, please let me know.

Anyway, I found the yield stress of the material of the torque rod, it was around 185MPA. I just plugged that straight into torque = force x distance. Is that right? Should I have converted that to Pa? Or because torque is in Newton meters and stress is in pascals and they're not the same right, so I need to do something else to it? I'm not sure what to do. By doing that (putting 185 into the equation as torque) I got a really small value, so I think I've done it wrong and am currently lost.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your help in advance, and sorry about the rambling.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vitaljunk;
You mast definitely can not input the yield stress as torque! Torque is measured in n.m whereas the yield stress is measured in Pa or N/mm^2.

If you could attach a picture of what you want to achieve I could try to help you a bit more, also include some of your equations and what you try to achieve.

As I understand you are trying to have a weight hang on a rod and let the rod release once a certain weight is reached? is this correct, from the weight and the distance to the centre of the arm around which it swings will give you a torque figure that you want.

For me to help you I would have to understand what you are on about a bit better

Try to explain...

Related to Calculating torque from yield stress understanding

What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What is yield stress?

Yield stress is the amount of stress that a material can withstand before it begins to deform permanently. It is an important factor in determining the strength and durability of a material.

How do you calculate torque from yield stress?

To calculate torque from yield stress, you need to know the yield strength of the material and the dimensions of the object. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance, and the yield stress is the force that the material can withstand before it starts to deform. So, to calculate torque from yield stress, you would use the equation: torque = yield stress x distance.

Why is calculating torque from yield stress important?

Calculating torque from yield stress is important because it allows us to determine the maximum amount of force that an object can withstand before it starts to deform. This is crucial in engineering and design, as it helps ensure the safety and integrity of structures and machines.

What are some common applications of torque and yield stress calculations?

Torque and yield stress calculations are used in a variety of fields and industries, including mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and construction. They are also important in the design and testing of products such as automobiles, aircraft, and machinery.