Calculating Time to Reach Highest Point in Theoretical Mechanics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's attempts at solving a 3d problem, specifically setting the coordinate axis and applying 2nd NL for every axis. They have found the acceleration and the time the mass reaches the highest point, but are unsure of its correctness and are struggling to make progress. They are also advised to draw a free body diagram and consider the presence of drag.
MerS
Homework Statement
A small mass m is moving from the base-towards the top of a plane, leaned at an angle α to the horizontal base, with starting velocity Vo. There is friction with the plane and air friction force acting, and of course the gravitational force G. Find the equation for the mass' movement and the maximum height it will reach.
Relevant Equations
air friction force -> Fa=V*a (a is a constant)
plane friction force-> Fp=μG
A rough explanation of my attempts:
I set the coordinate axis in a way that x is the horizontal base and y is perpendicular. But I guess it is a 3d problem, so I struggle finding the right position of the coordinate system.
Then, my next step was applying 2nd NL for every axis. So far I have found the acceleration and the time the mass reaches the highest point, but I doubt its correctness and I am really getting nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
MerS said:
but I doubt its correctness
... and you'd like someone to tell you if it is. Can't quite see from here...

Draw a FBD and then we can discuss it meaningfully.

Likes Lnewqban and Abhishek11235
111.jpg

MerS said:
At one place you have ##F_p=mg\sin(\alpha)##, at another ##F_p+mg\sin(\alpha)##.
You seem to have omitted drag.
You posted that you had found the time to reach the highest point. Where is the working for that?

Related to Calculating Time to Reach Highest Point in Theoretical Mechanics Problem

1. What is theoretical mechanics?

Theoretical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of physical systems using mathematical models and principles, without the need for experimental data. It involves the study of motion, forces, energy, and other physical quantities to understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of objects.

2. What are some common problems in theoretical mechanics?

Some common problems in theoretical mechanics include the study of motion and forces in different systems, such as simple harmonic motion, projectile motion, and planetary motion. Other problems may involve analyzing the behavior of fluids, elasticity, and thermodynamics.

3. How is theoretical mechanics different from applied mechanics?

Theoretical mechanics focuses on developing mathematical models and principles to explain the behavior of physical systems, while applied mechanics uses these principles to solve real-world problems and design practical solutions. Theoretical mechanics is more concerned with understanding the fundamental laws of nature, while applied mechanics is more concerned with practical applications.

4. What are some important concepts in theoretical mechanics?

Some important concepts in theoretical mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the principle of least action. Other important concepts include Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, rotational dynamics, and the laws of thermodynamics.

5. Why is theoretical mechanics important?

Theoretical mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of physical systems. This knowledge is crucial for developing new technologies, designing structures and machines, and predicting the behavior of objects in various environments. It also forms the basis for other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.