Calculating Time Interval of Two Earth Satellites in Circular Orbits

In summary, the two satellites of the Earth move in a common plane along circular orbits, the radii being r and r-\Deltar (\Deltar << r). The time interval b/w their periodic approaches to each other over the min. distance is T = 2\pi1/2( r3 / GM). According to the equations, this results in dT = 2 pi / root of GM * 3/2 r1/2 dr. What to do next is still unclear, as the quesn is asking for you to compute the period of a circular orbit, which is something beyond my current understanding.
NEILS BOHR

Homework Statement

Two satellites of the Earth move in a common plane along circular orbits , the radii being r and r-[tex]\Delta[/tex]r ( [tex]\Delta[/tex]r << r ). What is the time interval b/w their periodic approaches to each other over the min. distance . Take M to be the mass of the Earth
M = 6 * 10 24 kg , r = 7000 km , [tex]\Delta[/tex]r = 70 km ).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i m unable to understand the quesn...

Physics news on Phys.org

Which part of the question do you not understand?
Which parts do you understand?

i mean what's the meaning of by time interval b/w their periodic approaches to each other over the min. distance??

uptill now i m doing this :

T = 2[tex]\pi1/2([/tex] r3 / GM)

so dT = 2 pi / root of GM * 3/2 r1/2 dr

so i hav found dT / T and hence dT...

what to do next??

NEILS BOHR said:
i mean what's the meaning of by time interval b/w their periodic approaches to each other over the min. distance??

uptill now i m doing this :

T = 2[tex]\pi1/2([/tex] r3 / GM)

so dT = 2 pi / root of GM * 3/2 r1/2 dr

so i hav found dT / T and hence dT...

what to do next??

Perhaps you were going for the formula for the period of a circular orbit?

[tex]T = \frac{2 \pi}{\sqrt{G M}}r^{3/2}[/tex]

Bodies in circular orbits with different radii will have different periods. Inner ones have shorter periods than the outer ones. In the present case, this means that the satellite with the smaller orbit will periodically "lap" (pass) the outer one.

The problem is asking for you to compute that time period. I must admit that the phrase, "over the min. distance" is a bit vague. It could be that they want you to divide the period by the distance between the satellites when they're at closest approach. On the other hand, it could imply something a bit more devious -- what if the directions of the orbits are not the same (one going clockwise, the other counterclockwise)? Then the distance traveled along the orbit from meeting to meeting would be minimized.

Which ever way it turns out, the concept in play is what is known as the synodic period. A web search will turn up some adequate material.

hmmm
still confused with what the quesn is asking exactly??:confused:

Related to Calculating Time Interval of Two Earth Satellites in Circular Orbits

1. How do you calculate the time interval between two Earth satellites in circular orbits?

To calculate the time interval between two Earth satellites in circular orbits, you can use the equation T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where T is the time interval, a is the semi-major axis of the orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the Earth. This equation is based on Kepler's third law of planetary motion.

2. What is the significance of calculating the time interval between two Earth satellites?

Calculating the time interval between two Earth satellites can help determine their relative positions and orbits, which is important for satellite communication and navigation. It can also provide valuable information for space missions and satellite launches.

3. Can the time interval between two Earth satellites change over time?

Yes, the time interval between two Earth satellites can change over time due to factors such as changes in their orbits, gravitational interactions with other objects, and external forces like solar radiation pressure. However, these changes are usually small and can be accounted for in calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to using the equation for calculating the time interval between two Earth satellites?

Yes, the equation assumes that the satellites are in circular orbits, which is not always the case. It also does not take into account factors such as atmospheric drag, which can affect the satellites' orbits and therefore the time interval between them.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the time interval between two Earth satellites?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the time interval between two Earth satellites, such as using numerical simulations or advanced mathematical models that take into account more variables. However, the equation mentioned in the first question is the most commonly used and provides accurate results for most situations.