Calculating Time and Velocity of a Ball on a Ramp - Confirming Understanding"

• Thread starter J_o_S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Ramp
In summary, the conversation discusses a ball being rolled up a ramp with given initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity. The formula Vf = Vi + at is used to find when the ball is at rest, when its velocity is 6 m/s, and how long it takes for the ball to get back to its starting point. The conversation also suggests two different methods for solving the final part and confirms that both methods will result in the same answer.
J_o_S
can i just get someone to confirm this?

just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

A ball is rolled up a ramp. The initial velocity and the acceleration down the ramp due to gravity is given.

Vi = 10 m/s
a = 2 m/s

-------------------------------------------------
To find out when the ball is at rest I use:

Vf = Vi + at

where,
vf = 0
vi = 10
a = -2

---------------------------------------------------

To find out the when the ball's velocity is 6 m/s I use the same formula:

Vf = Vi + at

where
vf = 6
vi = 10
a = -2
-----------------------------------------------------

to find out how long it takes for the ball to get back to its starting point:

(The time it takes to get to the highest point is already known from the first part.)

I first find d:

d = [(Vi + Vf)/2]t

Then the time it takes to get back down can be found by:

d = Vit + .5at^2

d = .5at^2

Then I add the time it takes to get up with the time it takes to get down for the total time.

And the time it takes to get up should = the time it takes to get down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything look ok here?

thanks for looking

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good to me. But for the last part I'd do it like this:

Solve
d = Vit + .5at^2

where Vi=10, a=-2, d = 0. You'll get two solutions. One is t=0 (that's when the ball starts), and the other solution is the one you're looking for, when the ball comes back down.

The way you did it (dividing into the up trip, and the down trip) is also correct. Try both ways and confirm that you get the same answer.

over this and confirming.

Yes, your understanding and calculations seem to be correct. To confirm, the formula Vf = Vi + at is used to calculate the velocity of the ball at a specific time, and the formula d = Vit + .5at^2 is used to calculate the distance traveled by the ball at a specific time. The time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point can be found by dividing the initial velocity by the acceleration due to gravity (t = Vi/a). And as you mentioned, the time it takes for the ball to go up and come back down should be the same, since it follows the same path. Overall, your approach and calculations seem to be accurate. Good job!

Related to Calculating Time and Velocity of a Ball on a Ramp - Confirming Understanding"

1. How do you calculate the time and velocity of a ball on a ramp?

To calculate the time and velocity of a ball on a ramp, you can use the equations of motion, specifically the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You will need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the angle of the ramp, and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the formula for calculating time on a ramp?

The formula for calculating time on a ramp is t = √(2h/gsinθ), where t is the time, h is the height of the ramp, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the ramp.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the time and velocity of the ball?

The angle of the ramp affects the time and velocity of the ball because it determines the acceleration of the ball. The steeper the angle, the greater the acceleration and the faster the ball will move down the ramp. This means that the time it takes for the ball to reach the bottom of the ramp will be shorter and the velocity of the ball will be higher.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate time and velocity on different ramps?

Yes, you can use the same formula to calculate time and velocity on different ramps as long as the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity remain constant. However, if the ramps have different angles, the time and velocity will vary.

5. What other factors can affect the time and velocity of a ball on a ramp?

Other factors that can affect the time and velocity of a ball on a ramp include the surface of the ramp (friction), air resistance, and the mass and shape of the ball. These factors can alter the acceleration and ultimately affect the time and velocity of the ball on the ramp.