Calculating Thermal Expansion in a Steel Cable

In summary, a steel cable is stretched between two poles and remains horizontal at a length of 10m in 20°C temperature. At a higher temperature, the cable bends and a lamp hanging from the mid-point appears weightless. Using the equation l' = l [1 + αθ], where α is the linear expansion coefficient for steel, the value of θ is found to be 30.7°C.
has1993

Homework Statement

As shown in attachment a steel cable is stretched between two poles. In 20°C temperature the cable remains horizontal (the length of the cable 10m). At a higher temperature θ°C the cable bends like in attachment. The lamp hanging from the mid-point could be thought as weightless. The linear expansion coefficient for steel is 12 * 10^-6. What is the value of θ?

Homework Equations

l' = l [1 + αθ] ------- 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I first used pythagorian to find the expanded length so,

L^2 = 25 + 64 * 10^-4

that gives L = 5.0064
so the total expanded length 2L = 10.0128

And applying it to the (1) equation
I get a value for θ = 126 °C ! obviously absurd.

So anyone got a hint on what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• Figure.jpg
    Figure.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
Pls post the steps between calculating the expanded length and getting theta.

has1993 said:
L^2 = 25 + 64 * 10^-4

that gives L = 5.00064
so the total expanded length 2L = 10.00128

And applying it to the (1) equation
I get a value for θ = 126 °C ! obviously absurd.

So anyone got a hint on what I'm doing wrong?

You miss some zeroes. I think it is just typing error. I got the same result a you.
Edit: We both forgot to divide the change of length by the original length. ehild

Last edited:
Strange - I get 30.7C.
Fractional expansion = 0.000128 = 1.28E-4. Dividing by 12E-6 gives a bit over 10.

haruspex said:
Strange - I get 30.7C.
Fractional expansion = 0.000128 = 1.28E-4. Dividing by 12E-6 gives a bit over 10.

You are right, I forgot to divide by Lo. :redface:

ehild

Thks guys. It really helped. I think I've made some miscalculations. But now i get it. :D

Related to Calculating Thermal Expansion in a Steel Cable

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a material to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature.

2. Why is thermal expansion a problem?

Thermal expansion can cause structural damage or failure in buildings and bridges, as well as mechanical failure in machines and equipment.

3. How does thermal expansion affect different materials?

Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, meaning they expand and contract at different rates. This can lead to stress and strain on materials when exposed to temperature changes.

4. How is thermal expansion calculated?

The coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) is used to calculate the change in length, volume, or area of a material based on the change in temperature. It is typically measured in units of length per unit of temperature.

5. How can thermal expansion be managed or minimized?

Designers and engineers can account for thermal expansion in their plans by using materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion, incorporating expansion joints or gaps, and using proper installation techniques to allow for movement without causing damage.