Calculating the Vertical Height of a Kangaroo Jump

In summary, the conversation is about a kangaroo jumping to a height of 2.3 m and the question of how long it was in the air before returning to Earth. The person providing the summary requests to see how the answer was arrived at, and the person responds by mentioning the use of four kinematic equations and providing a link to one of the equations. They state that they used all of the equations and arrived at an answer of 0.68.
lostfan176

Homework Statement

A kangaroo jumps to a vertical height of 2.3 m. How long was it in the air before returning to Earth?

Homework Equations

kinamatics

The Attempt at a Solution

i got .68 which i think is rite but i don't know what do you get?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would much prefer to see HOW you arrived at that answer. Under "relevant equations" you have "kinematics" which NOT an equation! What equations did you use?

the four kinematic equations

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/1DKin/U1L6a1.gif

i used all of them and still derived at .68

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating the Vertical Height of a Kangaroo Jump

What is the formula for calculating the vertical height of a kangaroo jump?

The formula for calculating the vertical height of a kangaroo jump is h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/(2g), where h is the height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of takeoff, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What units should be used when calculating the vertical height of a kangaroo jump?

The units used for calculating the vertical height of a kangaroo jump should be consistent. Common units include meters for height, meters per second for velocity, degrees for angle, and meters per second squared for acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the accuracy of calculating the vertical height of a kangaroo jump?

The accuracy of calculating the vertical height of a kangaroo jump can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, the surface the kangaroo jumps on, and the precision of the measurements taken for initial velocity and angle of takeoff.

Why is calculating the vertical height of a kangaroo jump important?

Calculating the vertical height of a kangaroo jump is important for understanding the biomechanics and physical abilities of kangaroos. It can also provide valuable information for research and conservation efforts for these animals.

What other methods can be used to measure the vertical height of a kangaroo jump?

In addition to mathematical calculations, other methods such as high-speed cameras, motion sensors, and force plates can be used to measure the vertical height of a kangaroo jump. These methods may provide more accurate results and can also capture other important data such as the force and speed of the jump.