Calculating the Spin of Black Hole Sagittarius A* - Comments

In summary, there is discussion about whether the Event Horizon Telescope will be able to directly contribute to the calculation of the spin of Black Hole Sagittarius A* or if a long-term average will be needed. Additionally, a resolved observation of the accretion disk and its surroundings could help verify current models. The equations mentioned in the post were initially unreadable but became visible when clicking on a tutorial icon.
stevebd1
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Calculating the Spin of Black Hole Sagittarius A*
Sagittarius_A.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• Sagittarius_A.png
    Sagittarius_A.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,088
Likes TEFLing, Orodruin, m4r35n357 and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm curious if the Event Horizon Telescope will have sufficient time resolution to contribute to this directly - or do they have to take a long-term average to see anything? A resolved observation of the accretion disk and its surroundings should help to check these models.

I am interested in the topic, but unfortunately I could not read the equations. Is there someway for me to get the equations' text translated into something readable?

ADDED
I see that the equations became readable when I clicked on the tutorial icon in this thread.

It was unreadable in the Insight text.

Related to Calculating the Spin of Black Hole Sagittarius A* - Comments

1. How is the spin of a black hole calculated?

The spin of a black hole can be calculated using various methods, such as measuring the rotation of surrounding matter or analyzing the gravitational effects on nearby objects. In the case of Sagittarius A*, the spin is calculated by studying the X-ray emission from the surrounding accretion disk.

2. Why is it important to calculate the spin of a black hole?

The spin of a black hole is an important parameter that provides insights into its formation and evolution. It also affects the behavior of matter and energy near the event horizon, making it crucial in understanding the dynamics of black holes.

3. How do scientists determine the spin of Sagittarius A*?

Scientists use data from telescopes and observations to study the X-ray emission and polarization of light from the accretion disk around Sagittarius A*. By analyzing the properties of the X-rays, they can calculate the spin of the black hole.

4. Does the spin of a black hole change over time?

Yes, the spin of a black hole can change over time due to various factors such as mergers with other black holes or the accretion of matter. However, the spin of Sagittarius A* is relatively stable due to its low accretion rate.

5. What is the significance of the spin measurement of Sagittarius A*?

The spin measurement of Sagittarius A* can provide valuable information about the formation and growth of supermassive black holes. It can also help in testing hypotheses about the nature of gravity and the behavior of matter in extreme environments.